We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place at the airport for getting Euros

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 10
Best place at the airport for getting Euros

One of the most recent guidebooks for Amsterdam mentioned that: "Do NOT use ATMs from Travelex, Euronet and Forex which charge huge commissions and have terrible exchange rates.". When I arrive (from the States), I will need some money to get to Central Station, etc. Are there any other ATMs at the airport which are reasonable? If not, do banks that are there also charge huge commissions if I want to exchange $s? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: Best place at the airport for getting Euros

use the ATM just as you walk into arrival hall..they are dutch bank ATMs not money changer company ATMs

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Best place at the airport for getting Euros

The ATM machines I recall, including in the area where you wait for your luggage, are from ABN AMRO, a Dutch bank.

3. Re: Best place at the airport for getting Euros

Thanks for the very quick and helpful replies.

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 11
4. Re: Best place at the airport for getting Euros

Suzanna, You may know this already but, make sure you check with your bank or CC company on making sure there are no automatic restrictions on use out of the country. My bank does this and I have to give them dates to let the card work while I'm there. I usually include 2 days extra on the end of a trip just in case. I also up the daily POS (point of sale) and maximum daily withdraw from the ATM. A lot of us do not know that there are caps placed on these.

Have a great trip.

5. Re: Best place at the airport for getting Euros

Thanks, Jim. Great advice. After I spent a day of my vacation a few years ago calling the bank from Europe when they froze my account, I learned the lesson. I checked the daily withdrawal max too. They do not promise not to stop access but they have the dates, countries on file.

6. Re: Best place at the airport for getting Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 26, 2014