We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wooden Shoe

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
johor bahru
reviews: 32
Wooden Shoe

Hi

May I know how can I visit a wooden shoe factory in Amsterdam? i.e. where and how to go? And is there only one wooden shoe factory in Amsterdam, or there are few of them!

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Wooden Shoe

Hi there,

www.zaanseschans.nl has probably the most popular (demo) clog factory.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
2. Re: Wooden Shoe

And just to add on, there are not any clog factories in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
3. Re: Wooden Shoe

And don't expect to see anyone actually wearing clogs in Amsterdam either ;-). The one at Zaanse Schaans is not so much of a factory as one guy making them to demonstrate to tourist. Interesting though as is the rest of the place.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
4. Re: Wooden Shoe

And to add even more:

- you can buy ready-made wooden shoes all over Amsterdam and at the airport but I guess seeing how they are made is nice, at Zaanse Schans

- another place that has a clog maker is Marken iamsterdam.com/nl-NL/…20Marken

Marken is a picturesque fisherman's town with wooden houses and a cute little harbor that can be reached by bike (about 1.5 - 2 hours beautiful ride) or bus (50 minutes)

-I'd be surprised if touristy fisherman's town Volendam didn't have one too. And you can have your picture taken dressed in old costume.

- if you're into historical artesany like that you will also enjoy the open air Zuiderzee Museum in Enkhuizen, 1 hour by train, where you can see sailmakers, ropemakers and boat makers at work, and they just have a whole historical village 'functioning'

www.9292.nl/en is a door-to-door public transport planner and will tell you how to get to all those places.

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 6:55 am, August 24, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: Wooden Shoe

china probably has a clog making factory.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Wooden Shoe

They often have a clog maker at the cheese market in Alkmaar on Friday. Maybe combine the two?

I am going to date myself some here but I can remember going to visit my wife's uncles who were potato farmers in Friesland. If it was wet, they would wear wooden shoes out in the fields so as not to mess up their leather shoes.

johor bahru
reviews: 32
7. Re: Wooden Shoe

Thank you so much for all the reply!

I went to Netherlands for holiday 20years ago in a tour, and we went to see the wooden shoes/clog, and the ladies there were wearing traditional costume! I remember I saw a very very big clog! About 30years ago people in my country still wearing those red color clog, but not anymore! I don't need to go to a factory(I wrote 'factory' because I thought the place I went before is a factory!), only want to show my family the place!

Edited: 8:46 am, August 24, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
8. Re: Wooden Shoe

Zaanse Schans has these very big wooden shoes: cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/images/klompen.jpg

And from what I remember they had an even bigger one too, size of a small boat.

Windmills all around and a small old-fashioned grocery store and cheese shop.

And probably people in costume too. You will see people in old costumes in Volendam as well.

Edited: 9:42 am, August 24, 2013
Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
9. Re: Wooden Shoe

A very very big clog ... like this? chybeelila.com/wp-content/…DSC_0105.jpg

I have seen railway maintenance workers wear some, in the countryside. Also seen women in traditional costumes wearing them, on a bike, to go home after going to the weekly market (Middelburg).

Essen, Germany
reviews: 87
10. Re: Wooden Shoe

Once this biggest wooden shoe of the world has been stolen but I think it is back, isn´t it?

blogs.taz.de/meineguete/…

(Sorry, I didn´t found an english article)