We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester UK
reviews: 24
albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Hi. Is there a cafe in the big Albert heijn in the city center?

16 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

No, but give La Place on the Kalverstraat a try. You can find coupons online for discounts on food.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
2. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Is there a particular reason you are looking for a cafe in a supermarket? And which 'big Albert Heijn in the center' do you mean? The center is not that small and there are many big and small Albert Heijns. And many cafes all over the center for that matter.

If you're looking for a quick snack and simple setting then indeed La Place, or HEMA might be what you need. But I'd personally prefer a real cafe or a Bagels & Beans, although La Place is not that bad.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
3. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Doesn't Albert Heijn have ready made sandwiches and other foods?

A worst at Hema always works.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

big albert heijn i would guess would be the big one behind the palace..grab a hema hotdog..cant be beat..make sure they inject it with mustard..

Chicago
reviews: 13
5. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Darn you Steve. I am craving that hotdog with mustard now. Our apartment was above the Kalvertoren Mall and I could run down to the Hema food stand in about 2 minutes.

S

manchester UK
6. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Thanks for your posts.

My friend told me that there was a big Albert Heijn near a square in the centre (possibly near Spui or Rokin) which had a restaurant.

Perhaps she is getting mixed up with Hema?

Anyhow, she recommended it as a place to grab some lunch. I bet it was Hema.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 33
7. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

Perhaps she confused with the department store V&D at the Muntplein (8 mins walking from Dam Sq) which contains the aforementioned La Place which is like a food court with all kinds of different food but not from separate vendors. Hema worsts are delish albeit a real sodium and nitrate trip and they have some chairs and tables downstairs to eat the food you buy but hardly what I'd call a cafe and certainly not a restaurant.

manchester UK
8. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

By the way, La Place looks great. I am after a place for a late breakfast / early lunch as we arrive at Schipol at 8:00 am so we may well be starving hungry at about 10 ish.

I think there may be a La Place at Schipol, but I bet it is more expensive than the Kalverstraat one.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
9. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

There is also a La Place on the 7th floor of the Central Library right next to Amsterdam Central Station, which gives you a bit of a view over the city.

Although the view from adjacent DoubleTree hotel's Sky Lounge bar (11th floor) is better because it has no concrete slabs blocking half the view (like La Place / library), and it also has views over the northern part of Amsterdam. The library is worth seeing though, have a look around at the various floors and see funky furniture and concentration cublicles.

Both the library as well as Double Tree's top floor bar are publicly accessible.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 11:31 am, August 22, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
10. Re: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.

The one at Schiphol is La Place Express with fewer offerings than the one on the Kalverstraat. I would also check out Greenwoods or De Bakkerswinkel for a late breakfast/early lunch.

Reply to: albert heijn cafe / restaurant.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted