We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfino v Lalibela

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Co Durham
reviews: 27
Amalfino v Lalibela

I'm in Amsterdam from Sunday for a few days and want to eat in either of these restaurants. Which could depend upon advice and help from here..... we arrive Sunday afternoon and will be in the Pijp area that evening, handy for Azmarino if it is open. Does anyone know if the restaurant is open Sunday nights? If not then we are in the Jordaan on the Monday so could visit Lalibela or the other Ethiopian restaurant that way on.

If we cannot eat in the Pijp on Sunday at Azmarino does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere with good food, decent value would be helpful, perhaps indian or Indonesian food would be good?

EDIT - title should say Azmarino

Edited: 3:03 pm, August 21, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Open on Sunday:

http://www.azmarino.nl/

Good Indonesian alternative:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d2…

Co Durham
2. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Many thanks couldn't make sense of the website opening times in dutch. Think we'll give it a go. Just need a nice friendly bar for a couple of beers nearby and we are sorted.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Sara Sitra is more of an eet cafe (I used to live above it actually, it used to be a Mexican place) and it is only open until 2100. There are a couple of Indonesian restaurants on the Ceintuurbaan and a nice Thai at the far end near the Ruysdaelkade.

Bazar on the Albert Cuyp does nice North African food. Surya just around the corner from Azmarino is one of my favourite Indian places in Amsterdam. Ting Ting is a South African restaurant. If you like your meat then Samba is an all you can eat Brazillian.There really is no shortage of places to eat in the area.

For beer try Cafe Stigter around the corner.

Edited: 4:11 pm, August 21, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Lockster -

FYI - Ronaldo lives in the area.

The Hague, The...
reviews: 94
5. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Also on Sunday it is National Restaurant week, all participating restaurants have a menu for 27,50 euro

see www.restaurantweek.nl

my favourite Indonesian is www.srikandi.nl

Co Durham
6. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Thanks so much. I realised there was a lot of choice in the area but have heard lots about ethiopean food without being able to try it here in the UK. Of course the reserve option of a good indian is always a good standby.

As it's our first night in town and we are keen to visit the suburbs we thought we could wander to the Pijp and have a couple of drinks and a nice meal.

As ever the help of the Trip Advisor community is appreciated ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
7. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

This is a list of restaurants in De Pijp with ratings, average menu prices and reviews (most in Dutch). www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/de-pijp

Or for De Jordaan: www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/jordaan

I think you'll be able to understand the 0-10 ratings and the menu prices and cuisine types (if not, Google Translate is your friend). You can narrow the seach down by cuisine via 'Keukens' on the left.

I lived in that area for 8 months and have friends who used to live there.

I had a lovely meal at Kingfisher once, great service too.

And at a Japanese place on Ferdinand Bolstraat but I can't remember which.

I also like Bazar, especially their huge breakfast with fruits, yoghurt, Turkisch bread, cheeses and best of all, the "1000 hole pancake" with honey. Yummmm.

For breakfast / brunch / lunch / coffee I also tend to like Le Pain Quotidien (but haven't tried the one in De Pijp) and Bagels & Beans.

Burgermeester (a word play to the word 'burgemeester' without the r, which means mayor) does great hamburgers. Tiny seating area from what I remember.

I also used to like District V, nice French type of atmosphere, but it's been a while since I ate there.

Note that lots of restaurants close on Mondays, but many will be open too. But if you had your mind set on a particular one then check the opening hours first.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:15 am, August 22, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
8. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

P.S. All the Ethiopian restaurants: www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/ethiopisch

Norway
reviews: 72
9. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Lalibela isn't in Jordaan, although I see it gets good reviews. For an Ethiopian restaurant in Jordaan, I highly recommend Semhar: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-… I see that the latest review isn't very good - perhaps it just was an off night. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to dine there again.

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
10. Re: Amalfino v Lalibela

Good point Catwoman. Maybe Lalibela claims to be in the Jordaan. You'd be surprised how far away a place can be and still have the cheek to claim that it is in the Jordaan!

Actually, I'm not convinced that Semhar is really in the Jordaan either, but it's right on the border so I'm not going to argue about it.

Coming from that direction, the characteristic atmosphere of the Jordaan begins at the natural boundary of the Lijnbaansgracht, once you cross one of the bridges.

After running in the Westerpark, I re-enter the Jordaan a little further up, here: http://goo.gl/z5ucQp and I always think, if they start a revolution in the Staatsliedenbuurt we'll pull up this bridge and wait till it's safe to go out again.

:-)