We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, Indiana
reviews: 3
Amsterdam

We will be spending 5 days in Amsterdam in mid October. We are looking for recommendations for tour and/or guides. While our primary interests are art and food/cooking, we would appreciate any recommendations even if they don't relate to art and food.

7 replies to this topic
The Hague, The...
reviews: 90
1. Re: Amsterdam

Tours of all sorts at www.amsterdamcitytours.com and www.localamsterdamtours.com

the Rijksmuseum has tours: https:/…guided-tours

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 42
2. Re: Amsterdam

You can go up the church tower of Westerkerk with a guide.

Sandemans offer free walking tours. iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…20tour

And click around some more on www.iamsterdam.com, the official tourism website for Amsterdam.

For example this has all the info about museums: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…museums-and-galleries

You don't really need guides to visit the rest of Amsterdam. You can just walk around using maps or a guidebook, and use trams and buses and metros and ferries, or bike.

www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam will help you find restaurants, you can narrow the search by area via 'wijken' and/or by cuisine via 'keukens', and 'kaart' will take you to a map.

If you tell us which cuisine and area you're looking for you may get some personalized recommendations.

Enjoy!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 8:18 am, August 21, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Amsterdam

P.S. Doing a canal boat tour at the start of your trip is also highly recommended. They come as one hour daytime tours, evening dinner tours, evening cheese and wine tours, or even disco tours or comedy tours. iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…canal-cruising

From the boat you will see things that you may want to go back to later for a longer visit.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

Edited: 8:40 am, August 21, 2013
South Bend, Indiana
4. Re: Amsterdam

Thanks Cecilia for all your suggestions. With regard to food, we eat anything. Prefer to eat local specialties where the locals (not the tourists) eat. Nothing fancy. We will be coming from a gorilla trek in Africa so will be wearing cargo pants and hiking boots.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: Amsterdam

you are not going to find a place where tourists dont eat..

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Amsterdam

Don't forget to thank Dutchguy too! ;-)

Well the Dutch don't really eat Dutch food anymore. We like Asian, mediterranean and all kinds of international foods. I think it's hard to find a restaurant in the center without tourists in it but you could try the studenty brown bar Blaffende Vis (barking fish) in De Jordaan, it only has a few simple dishes.

Or De Peper in OT301, there may be foreigners but most likely expats. It's a vegetarian (or even vegan?) restaurant run by the OT301 crowd, some of whom are expats, I'm not sure if they're still officially squatters or now legalized renters. Just to describe the vibe.

Outside the center you will find less tourists. You may want to try some Surinamese food at Lalla Rookh, simple (not very pretty) decorations and good food. Many Dutch love Surinamese food. Ever tried spicey peanut soup? ;-) They probably also have some Javanese (Indonesian) dishes. Our colonial past caused those cuisines to mingle a bit in Suriname.

And you will find many tourists trying Indonesian rijsttafel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel but it's really worth a try. I love it (but may be biased with my part Indonesian background). If you're looking for a less touristy vibe then have the simpler version at Restaurant Kadijk on Kadijksplein, which is more a like a cafe, but with delicious Indonesian dishes including a small version of rijsttafel. There are various discussions about 'rijsttafel' (rice table) on the forums so you could also do a search in the Amsterdam forum (see search box below), it's often misspelled as 'rijstafel' (crescent table? ;-) ) as well so you could search for that too.

I guess it also depends on where you're staying, I don't know if you're okay with 20 minute tram rides just to go eat. But for example Lalla Rookh can also be combined with many other sights in eastern Amsterdam, just let me know if you want to know more.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

Edited: 9:01 pm, August 21, 2013
South Bend, Indiana
7. Re: Amsterdam

Thanks dutchguy. Appreciate your suggestions.

Reply to: Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted