We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer Coffeeshop..?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worksop, United...
First timer Coffeeshop..?

Hi, me and my girlfreind are staying for 3 nights in a few week. Looking for a coffee shop which isnt over baring and maybe more suited to pop in on a night out. Our hotel is right near Grasshopper 2, which seems cool as also has a bar and disco? Any reviews on this place or suggestions of any others would be great. Thanks!

Brewster, New York
reviews: 25
1. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

Coffeeshops are like pubs. Each one has its own personality/clientele. So, your best bet is to avoid the tourist traps/overpriced ones near the Dam and use the link below to do some "homework" on what shops are like, how nearby they are to where you'll be, and read reviews from customers/look at pictures to see what works best for you guys.

www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com

Worksop, United...
2. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

Hi thanks for quick reply. Ive already had a good look at that site, good for locations but reviews are mostly out of date. Looking for anyone with personal experience that could help. Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
3. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

Have you tried clicking on pink pin for the Grasshopper in Google maps and seeing if it has Google reviews?

Or googled 'grasshopper amsterdam experiences' or searches like that?

Or better still checked out the reviews for it here on Tripadvisor?

Edited: 2:37 pm, August 20, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
4. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

Sasha gave a very good post. Her primary point is that a coffeeshop is very much an individual thing and you are going to have to make up your own mind what is appealing.

The only criteria you have given us is that you do not want a place that is over baring (sic) yet you said Grasshopper with a bar and disco looks cool. I am getting a mixed signal as that to me would be overbearing. This is my favorite place which is certainly not overbearing, has a certain amount of "class", is one of a group which has consistently done well in the Cannabis Cup, and would be about a 15 or 20 minute walk from where you are staying:

http://www.barneys.biz/?s=lounge

Outside of that you might use the previous site for locations to tour a few and make up your mind as to which one would have the best feel or vibe. While the reviews might seem dated, they would still be valid.

Edited: 2:51 pm, August 20, 2013
Hillsborough, North...
reviews: 76
5. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

Two I've found that are first-timer and tourist friendly - Grey Area and La Tertulia. Also High Times in Haarlem - a little dark and small but pleasant folk. I didn't enjoy the Bulldog(s), but some people really enjoy that style as well.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
6. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

PS - I think Barney's is working on a new website. You want the lounge at the following address:

Reguliersgracht 27

1017 LK Amsterdam, Netherlands

+31 20 420 6655

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
7. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

La tertulia. Super mellow. Great intro coffeeshop

Atlanta
8. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

You can find recent reviews of all the shops on that website under the 'forums' section.

Buffalo Area
reviews: 2
9. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

There are many coffeeshops, and I have been to a lot of them myself. I have found that the coffeeshops that you find a lot of tourists in are quite friendly. These coffeshops are a good start for those new to the scene. Just walk around and go in one that you like. Some are quiet, some are noisy. Some have fancy/themed decor, and some are just plain holes in the wall. What type of music do you like? Some serve food, and others don't. Find a shop with a bud tender that you like. You will have a great time. One of my favorite areas is Leidseplein where many young people hang out. I also like to visit the RLD at nighttime when the canals are glowing in red lights which and a lot of coffeshops and bars. Haarlemmerstraat is another area loaded with coffeeshops like Barneys. I found local shops in non-tourist like the De Pijp not quite as welcoming to tourists, but still were friendly.

Essen, Germany
reviews: 82
10. Re: First timer Coffeeshop..?

Perhaps here you will find some more suggestions

tripadvisor.co.uk/…51557751

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k535…