We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kota Kinabalu...
What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Hello, my friends and I will be travelling to Amsterdam on the 9th September and we'll be staying there for 3 days, we're just wondering what would the temperature/weather be like during that time.

Would a pair of shorts be too cold for the weather during that time? Do we need jackets and scarves?

As ladies, we care about how we look when in Amsterdam, so are there any fashion faux pas we need to know about? :)

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 145
1. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Hi there,

Start of autumn. If you're very lucky you can manage with shorts, but long trousers and light jacket and scarf is more likely. Don't worry about dress code, 'Dam is very liberal in this...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kota Kinabalu...
2. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Hello,

thanks for the quick reply!

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
3. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Our weather is quite unpredictable and different every year. It could be anything between 5 and 30 degrees C but most likely between about 10 and 23 degrees. How cold it feels depends on sun versus clouds, and wind and rain. It can also change a lot during one day.

It's best to bring various thin layers which you can combine and peel off incase you get warm.

You can always buy a small umbrella or disposable poncho over here in case it rains.

Fashionwise we are used to seeing and having styles from all over the world. Some people frown upon (white) socks in open sandals , or Crocs (with or without socks), or Uggs on a hot summer day, but I doubt you were going to wear those, and anyway just let people frown if they want to. You probably want some comfortable footwear, the streets are not always very even and on a citytrip you usually end up walking a lot. In case you were planning on biking you may want to reconsider tight skirts, super low crotch pants or very tight skinny jeans that you can't kneel down in (and thus not cycle comfortably in). :-)

Enjoy!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:36 am, August 20, 2013
Kota Kinabalu...
4. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Thanks Cecile that's very informative.

Atlanta
5. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Nice Cecile that was a good info. Didn't know that Snoop Dogg was offendin' in his "flip flops and socks" : )

Edited: 9:40 am, August 20, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

LOL, who knows you might get some appreciative remarks from Snoop Dogg fans if you wear that too! Does he have the special Havaianas socks with a gap between the toes?

Just do a Google Images search for "fabiola amsterdam" (may she rest in peace) to see how anything goes in liberal Amsterdam.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 1
7. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

What I've found somewhat helpful in this regard is to google "Amsterdam webcam" and you should be able to find some live streaming cameras that show both the weather and what most people are wearing (i.e. shorts vs. pants and long or short sleeves).

Enjoy.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
8. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

While looking at webcam may work in the middle of the Summer or Winter, its wise to always wear/pack layers when traveling in the Fall and Spring.

9. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:49 am, January 29, 2015
Amsterdam, The...
10. Re: What's the weather like in Amsterdam in September?

Aha! So that was you frowning at me MrOther, when I was plodding through the snow and -5 cold in my Uggs. Sorry to have been such a sorry sight but they're the only shoes that don't slip in snow (like my other boots) or have air holes, read: 'let snow through and turn into water' - holes (sneakers) and keep my feet slightly above freezing temperature.

Good idea about the webcams MindTheGap1666, that way OP can also check out the (probably very disturbing) fashion situation. The Dutch are known for many things but being fashionable and elegant is not our strongsuit. :-)