We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NH Carlton queries

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
india
NH Carlton queries

Hullo!

So I landed up with NH Carlton through Priceline. I am not too thrilled but I signed up for it. I do know it is an amazing location but the room reviews are totally bumming my out. Is it really that bad? I may fight harder to cancel. I am travelling with a baby so even more concerned. Also regarding city tax. Priceline says I dnt have to pay but the hotel just wrote to me saying I do. I am already stressed about this accommodation because I can see I will have to battle for my CC not to be charged. Any advise welcomed! Thank you!!

10 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: NH Carlton queries

When bidding, you agree to their terms and you pay if you win. I don't see how you can "fight" it. The rooms are probably small, but it's a modern hotel with however many stars. It won't be that bad.

Now them and their city tax is a whole other ball of wax. Don't pay it and I would contact NH main office and let them know. You can search here and find recent threads that this is a frequent problem and the hotel is in the wrong. (I hope I understand this situation correctly)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: NH Carlton queries

The Carlton is a well regarded hotel. It's not the Ritz but then you probably paid about $90 per night so I can't really see what you are worrying about.

I don't see that the latest two pages of reviews are that bad, quite good actually. When you bid on Priceline you take what you get that is why you get it cheap. No point in bleating about it after the fact and I very much doubt you will get anywhere with your credit card company. You entered into a contract with Priceline and they delivered you a 4 star hotel so they are not at fault.

The issue with city tax on one of the latest reviews seem to be the fault of the receptionist not knowing what they are doing. The reviewer sorted this out by calling PL and was not charged.

If you don't like the hotel then after you have stayed there write a review. I am sure that your fears are not that justified.

india
3. Re: NH Carlton queries

Thank you guys! No I agree.I did know what I was getting into but was just hoping for better luck:) Some of the recent reviews are a bit harsh about the room and service. Sometimes it takes so little to spoil a well planned holiday! I have emailed PL requesting them to review the star rating.

I have emailed PL. I want to go with my peace of mind and not stressed about possible costs.

Thanks again!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
4. Re: NH Carlton queries

Hmm.. Sometimes you should just ignore some reviewers. The last one for instance mainly complained that the breakfast was overpriced at €20. That is actually not too bad for a hotel breakfast, they obviously have not stayed in many hotels. They said the room was average but small. Most Amsterdam hotel rooms are small.

The next few are fairly good reviews. In fact one says "Spotless modern room on the 7th floor, with views over the city." Perhaps they got a refurbed room though. So as I said perhaps you are worrying over nothing. I have not really seen anyone on this forum who stayed there complaining about it especially if they have got it at a bargain rate.I think you are reading anything bad about the hotel and nothing good.

>I have emailed PL requesting them to review the star rating.<<

Really!! How can you comment on the star rating of a place you have not stayed in? Wierd. Priceline don't make the star ratings, I think they are granted by the Netherlands tourist board or similar.

To be frank with you you seem to be pee'd off that you paid very little for a hotel that is probably perfectly adequate but on the word of strangers you are now wasting your time worrying about it. You have made your (hotel) bed so now you are going to have to lie in it. Perfectly comfortably probably.

india
5. Re: NH Carlton queries

Thank you for your reply. Will post a review once I am back. I am glad about the location.. Regarding ratings, PL allots i think. At least this is as per their terms and conditions and chats with customer care.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
6. Re: NH Carlton queries

You need to relax.

You are coming to one of the best cites in the world and you are upset that you got a 4 Star hotel that others will be paying $100s of dollars more a night.

If I wanted truly great modern hotels I would pick Baltimore as a destination.

Yes many of the hotels in Amsterdam are a little the worse for wear.

They are old.

And sometimes folks who pay $285 a night vent their displeasure because this old worn Amsterdam hotel is not as spiffy as some brand new Marriott in Baltimore.

Those folks should have gone to Baltimore instead.

You got a great deal. And city tax? You are obsessing about city tax?

Even if you had to pay it would cost you the equal of about one cup of coffee a day.

In the scheme of things that city tax is a piddling issue. And PL makes sure you are whole anyway just in case.

Worry about pickpockets. Worry about getting on the wrong tram. Worry about the weather.

Don't worry about a 4 star in a great location that you are getting for pennies on the dollar.

Edited: 8:41 am, August 19, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
7. Re: NH Carlton queries

And next time my advice is------don't bid.

Bidding is for people that do their home work. People who will take a reasonable chance. That will accept some risk.

You can't bid expecting a certain something. What you expect is the correct star level and location and a double room at the price you won it for.

The alternative to bidding?

For that money you spent you would have been carrying that baby up and down and up and down 114 steep steps every thine you came and went from your 1 star hotel.

Staying in some truly old worn 1 star that would make the Carlton look like the best Ritz or the IC anywhere.

You could have also just picked a nice 4 star and paid for it. Then you would have had the exact hotel you wanted.

Maybe $285 a night plus city tax but it would have been your choice. Not any better than the Carlton most likely . maybe not nearly as good.. But the choice would have been yours.

City tax of 5 percent is a bigger issue with a $285 dollar room as compared with a $70 PL room

A few more cups of coffee and maybe a muffin?

Edited: 8:57 am, August 19, 2013
india
8. Re: NH Carlton queries

Thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
9. Re: NH Carlton queries

I have stayed in the Carlton a couple of times. It is a decent 4 start hotel, nothing more, nothing less. Don't expect Ritz-Carlton style and facilities and you won't be dissappointed.

It is in a great location btw.

india
10. Re: NH Carlton queries

Thank you Brianc!

Reply to: NH Carlton queries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted