We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the dutch are too trusting

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surabaya
reviews: 9
the dutch are too trusting

on the two train rides from schiphol to RAI and back, i found that i didn't need to stamp my train tickets in any machine. no one checked the tickets on the train.

anyone could have easily just jumped onboard, enjoyed a free ride, and got away with it.

the tram is different though. they have a cabin in the middle of the tram with a officer in it to make sure everybody check in and check out with their ticket.

31 replies to this topic
Hillsborough, North...
reviews: 76
31. Re: the dutch are too trusting

Oh, my, late to the party again. I was going to respond to the original post, and here I find a group of my favorite people in a spat!

To JaySiauw - would that we all are as trusting. But I think of it more as an economic calculation built on a cultural theme of "common good" (hmmm..isn't that concept referenced in another document?) - most people contribute, even though they are not "forced" to , because it supports infrastructure that by and large they all recognize as valuable to maintaining the society and contributing to the style/standard of life. There is of course "leakage" but this is considered worth the cost. And the intermittent enforcement/controls is both a good reminder/deterrent at an acceptable cost. Here in the states we rather tend toward killing the occasional fly with a shotgun, if you get my drift.

Reply to: the dutch are too trusting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted