We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the dutch are too trusting

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surabaya
reviews: 9
the dutch are too trusting

on the two train rides from schiphol to RAI and back, i found that i didn't need to stamp my train tickets in any machine. no one checked the tickets on the train.

anyone could have easily just jumped onboard, enjoyed a free ride, and got away with it.

the tram is different though. they have a cabin in the middle of the tram with a officer in it to make sure everybody check in and check out with their ticket.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
1. Re: the dutch are too trusting

Go ahead and ride the train for free next time - just don't get caught! :-))

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
2. Re: the dutch are too trusting

Speeding on the highway works the same way.

Sometimes the police catch you and sometimes they do not.

As my buddy clint always says-------do you feel lucky?

liverpool, england
reviews: 144
3. Re: the dutch are too trusting

There have been more guards/ ticket inspectors lately than I have seen in previous visits but the threat of not having a ticket and getting caught is a constant, and you never know when they will be there, so dont risk it.

London
reviews: 34
4. Re: the dutch are too trusting

The Dutch actually treat people as adults.

If you do get caught without a ticket, the fines are heavy and payable on the spot. You could also be referred for prosecution if the officials think that you intentionally avoided payment.

Edited: 12:08 pm, August 18, 2013
Essen, Germany
reviews: 86
5. Re: the dutch are too trusting

I like wirepiper´s reply:-))

It might be pretty blameful if you will be catched in a foreign country and I´m not sure if they will give you a special provision and a bonus because you are foreigner...

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 51
6. Re: the dutch are too trusting

I've had my tickets checked onboard the train from Schiphol to AMS Centraal, and also from Almere to AMS Centraal. In Germany it works on the trust system as well, for both intercity trains and the Berlin subway system. I find it kind of refreshing after having used various metro networks in the UK, the Americas and Asia, where everyone's tickets are checked, either by scanner or a human. I wouldn't think of risking it either.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
7. Re: the dutch are too trusting

I also like Wirewiper's reply.

You are using a service so you're supposed to pay for it.

Speaking of trust... in winter times sometimes the lakes and ditches freeze over and people go ice skating. There was a tank full of hot cocoa on a table on the ice, some seats, and plastic cups, and a sign saying: "hot cocoa, €1". There was nobody there. But everyone getting cocoa put €1 in the money container. Isn't it great when it can be like that?

Why would you rob the system (or anyone for that matter) just because it is possible?

Edited: 5:45 pm, August 18, 2013
Auckland Region...
reviews: 78
8. Re: the dutch are too trusting

Sometimes it is also very important to validate the ticket not just buy it .

Surabaya
reviews: 9
9. Re: the dutch are too trusting

please

i was just reporting my experience

please

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
10. Re: the dutch are too trusting

Try to enjoy the city instead of worrying about these kind of things....

In your other post you complained about spending 50 cents to much on a train ticket.... now this.....