We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

Hello all

I'm trying to find out the cheapest and quickest transport options from Zaandam to Amsterdam.

We are 2 young girls (23-22) visiting Amsterdam in late September for 4 days but on a tight budget. We've hastily booked a hotel in Zaandam (Zaan Inn Hotel) not knowing that it isn't in Amsterdam itself even though it's 15-20 mins away by train. And the booking is non-exchangeable and non-refundable.

We will be purchasing a GVB 72hours Euro16.50 travel pass and would like to know the following:

1. Can we buy this GVB 72hours pass at Schiphol airport? Just to make it clear it's not the Amsterdam CityCard that I'm after but simply the travel pass.

2. Does the GVB travel pass allows travel from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Zaandam? If not then, can anyone reccommend the cheapest and easiest option to Zaandam station. We don't mind bus/coach/train and happy to travel upto 45mins to/from airport. Will be great if you can also mention prices and costs of either mode of transport.

3. Does GVB travel pass allows unlimited travel from Zaandam to Amsterdam at all? We thought it does and the reason we booked Zaan Inn Hotel in Zaandam. If this pass is restricted only within Amsterdam, can anyone reccommend the best and cheapest way to get to Amsterdam and back. We will be leaving the hotel around 11am and returning 10pm roughly. We don't mind if we have to take a bus or train that takes upto 30 mins each way.

4. What are the prices and costs of a return ticket from Zaandam to Amsterdam by bus and coach? And what are the prices of a 72hrs travel pass that allows unlimited travel from Zaandam to Amsterdam (only if they do one, i'm not too sure)

I know some of the questions are already on Tripadvisor but my browser takes forever to load my internet is so slow and I finally gave up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
1. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

www.9292.nl/en for door to door public transport planner. You can browse through the options it gives you (see the later and earlier times) and see what the prices are. Train is probably quickest.

GVB passes are not valid on trains.

If a few euros difference for bus versus train is really important then you will have a hard time in expensive Amsterdam. But through the Top Questions on the right you will find a list of free things to do.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 10:36 am, August 17, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 138
2. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

Hi there,

Will try...

1] Probably at the AKO kiosk. Not at tourist office, they only sell the 24h card.

2] Buses don't compete here with train routes, generally. So train is logical. 4.20 euro for a single, see www.ns.nl for the times (2 x per hour direct but also more options with transfer at Sloterdijk station).

3] Nope, it's for Amsterdam only. Train again, 2.40 euro for a single (and return is 4.80 euro).

4] No unlimited pass existing, sorry.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
3. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

This is the list of free things to do I mentioned earlier. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k64046…

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

London, United...
4. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

Hi Erik and Cecile

Thank you so much for your replies.

I checked the prices and time on www.9292.nl/en

However, I noticed that 2.40Euros for a single or 4.80 Euros for return is available with a public transport chip card with no discounts. I do not intend to purchase a chipcard, so does that mean the price will be higher or am I still able to purchase the train fare at this rate?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 138
5. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

Hi again,

For train this is same price as for paper ticket. However, payment of those can be a nightmare; vending machines only are surcharge-less with Dutch or Maestro debit card or with, yep, coins. Counters charge 0.50 per ticket (!) extra. Credit card, solely allowed at Schiphol and some machines in Centraal, is 1 euro per transaction extra.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
6. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

So if I was to buy the paper ticket at the vending machines by cash (Euros) that means there will still be a surcharge?

7. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:18 am, February 03, 2015
Edited: 11:18 am, February 03, 2015
liverpool, england
reviews: 164
8. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

And the machines only take coins, not notes.

It shouldnt be difficult to get a few euros each day each in coins to buy your train tickets each day, you just may not have 8.40e in coins for your initial travel to Zaandam.

Whilst in Zaandam, take a little time to visit Zaanse Schans, its a really pretty place, with windmills, a little clog selling place that has demonstrations on how they are made, and a little cheese selling place with loads of freeby trials - we never need lunch after trying everything there, lol.

Have a good trip, and dont worry the trains/transport is all reliable.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 29
9. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

You just randomly booked a hotel in the Netherlands and was surprised it wasn't in Amsterdam? Wow.. I have some magic beans for sale if you want.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
10. Re: Transport from Zaandam to Amsterdam

Here are a couple of tips for you. Check on a map where the hotel you book actually is. Fortunately for you Zaandam is not that far from Amsterdam and has pretty decent transport conncetions and your hotel is near the train station.

Trains don't run all night so if you planning a night out then after the last train at 0150 you will need to take the nightbus which takes about 45 minutes to get to Zaandam.

Are you planning on doing a lot of travelling in Amsterdam? If not then you might not need the GVB ticket.

Maybe this ticket would suit you but again not valid on trains

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…region-day-ticket