We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Californai
reviews: 2
Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

Hello,

We will be in Amsterdam mid-September for 3 days. It looks like our best day for the Rijksmuseum will be Saturday the 14th. I plan to buy online tickets in advance but have read that even with a ticket, we might have to queue for while just to get in. The museum offers 90 minute guided tours; one is called Highlights of the Rijksmuseum, offered in English at 11AM and costs 5 euro in addition to the entrance fee. Has anyone taken this tour and was it worthwhile? The museum site says: "Please note that it can be very busy in the Rijksmuseum. Museumkaart and e-ticket holders do not have to go to the ticket counter. Nonetheless, you may have to queue outside the museum. These queues are for all visitors – except for our benefactors (Vrienden van het Rijksmuseum) or people with reservations for a guided tour or workshop."

So, I'm thinking that in addition to getting an enjoyable tour it would be worthwhile not to have to worry about long lines. The alternative is to get there fairly early in the morning with the online ticket only. But if anyone has taken this tour, I'd appreciate hearing if you thought it was a good investment of your time.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

Who cares whether you like the tour or not. Pay the 5 euros to pass the line and if you don't like the tour, go off on your own.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 72
2. Re: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

just go early if possible, no queues and you save 5 euro!

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
3. Re: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

There have been reports on this forum of people with a timed guided-tour reservation who were still made to wait in the queue. Hopefully the people managing the queues now know the rules of their own museum, but be prepared for having to argue your case with them.

The Hague, The...
reviews: 94
4. Re: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

An interesting fact: 14 September is Open Heritage Day, when 60 normally closed monuments open to the public for free.

Programme available from 26 August. Keep an eye on that here, and plan to go to the Rijks very early, as I will soon. Will see myself what it's like.

Northern Californai
reviews: 2
5. Re: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

Thanks to all of you for your input. I think we'll go ahead and book the tour and hope we don't have to queue.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 72
6. Re: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour

remember to post on the forum afterwards how you felt it all went!

Reply to: Rijksmuseum Guided Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted