We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam in February?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 6
Amsterdam in February?

As time (and money) are an issue, getting to Amsterdam in the warmer months isn't a real possibility so I was considering visiting in February. Is this a good idea? i.e. Are the likely to be "touristy" locations that are closed for the season? I realize most will likely be on more restricted schedules.

18 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: Amsterdam in February?

It's a great time to visit. A least it is for me.

Most of my 20 plus trips have been in Jan or Feb.

I love walking in the cold dark wet weather. I love the prices. I love the less crowded feel.

Everything I want to do,is open.

Canal boat tours and coffeeshops.

The museums are also open as is the RLD and the bars,

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
2. Re: Amsterdam in February?

This is my first time here in August and I much prefer the off season. I'm not a crowds person, though. Fewer sidewalk tables in the off season, however. But you can fully enjoy Amsterdam in February. Downright balmy compared to Saskatoon I would imagine.

liverpool, england
reviews: 137
3. Re: Amsterdam in February?

I regularly visit in November and February and prefer it to July/August time; the city is still tourist friendly, but some places do have slightly shorter hours, but you will have less hustle and bustle. The main things with shorter hours that may bother are the canal boat trips, but I usually try to do the last daytime tour - as it usually gets to lighting up time enroute, so you get to see the canals illuminated - which is very picturesque and different than the daylight view.

Have a good trip.

perth scotland
reviews: 1
4. Re: Amsterdam in February?

been many times in jan and feb . obviously can be bit cold but doesn't bother me that . gets dark early as well . just love Amsterdam all lit up something magical about it . can also get cheap flights for these months as well from uk .

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
5. Re: Amsterdam in February?

Basically the exact same answers count for February that were given about November: tripadvisor.com/…0

Buffalo Area
reviews: 2
6. Re: Amsterdam in February?

My first trip to Amsterdam was in February, and I had a great time. Even the 2 inches of snow did not ruin my experience, but made for a more magical time. I found the bars and coffee shops had a fair amount patrons due to cold weather outside. Museums etc were less crowded.

Saskatoon, Canada
7. Re: Amsterdam in February?

Thank you! Yes, Pala32, I imagine it will be quite balmy compared to what Feb. is like out here. My version of a warm climate holiday for winter haha.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: Amsterdam in February?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

And since you mentioned money.

Be sure to skim the last 20-30 pages of this 214 page thread.

In Feb no telling what you might get a 4 star room for but a winning bid under $60 or $70 usd is not out of the question.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
9. Re: Amsterdam in February?

Well, as you can read in the thread I mentioned, it might *feel* a lot colder here than in Canada, even if it's a higher temperature in theory.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Amsterdam in February?

Go to a coffeeshop, get stoned, then walk outside - the cold will feel good.

Reply to: Amsterdam in February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted