We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
karachi
One day trip in Amsterdam

HI everyone,

I will be travelling to vienna and from there to amsterdam . was looking forward to some advice regarding my trip. I have a total of two days, the 2nd of which is a guided tour for the diamond factory and shoemaker and countryside and also a coach tour to see amsteradm and roam around.. for the first day here is my travel plan . please do recommend any changes that you can suggest.

will take the tram from lommerplein station to westermarkt. and then go to anne frank house.

walk from there to the royal palace and dam square and national monument and Westerkerk bell tower.

stop at kohinoor restuarant for a bit of food. any good coffee shops nearby ??

then will go to Rijskmuseum by taking a bus ride.

then will check out van gogh museum which is nearby.

if possible, i will come back and go for a canal tour late at night. any companies which you can suggest will be helpful.

an option was to see jordaan neighborhood and walk there. but dont think will have the time.

Also, just wanted to know the mode of commute. we are a gorup of 5 people. any idea considering our plans what card should we buy or will a taxi be cheaper?

Thanks again .

4 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 49
1. Re: One day trip in Amsterdam

That sounds like too many museums in one day. By the time you reach Rijksmuseum after your lunch, it might be 2pm. That gives you 3 hours to queue for, and explore Rijksmuseum which I think it merits. I don't think you can fit Van Gogh in because that also tends to have long queues.

Kohinoor is open only after 5pm! iens.nl/restaurant/1107/amsterdam-koh-i-noor So eat lunch elsewhere, for example Spanjer & Van Twist (near Westerkerk), or Latei sometimes has some Indian dishes (near Nieuwmarkt / Dam), or any of the other Indian restaurants but check opening hours. www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/indiaas

For the evening canal cruise, avoid the expensive one just in front of Central Station. Damrak has a few cheap companies. Another forummer was happy about the cheese and wine tour by Kooy on Rokin. Blue Boat also seems good, near Rijksmuseum and Leidseplein. Wait until it's almost dark though. It's at its prettiest in the dark when the lights come on.

As for walking through the Jordaan: after visiting Anne Frank House (if you do that first thing in the early morning) you can walk through Jordaan and canal belt and then back towards Dam / Royal Palace. I hope you're not considering actually going into the Royal palace on top of all those museum visits. :-)

On this website you will find public transport options: www.9292.nl/en

As for coffeeshops, this is a directory with a map and reviews. http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:52 am, August 15, 2013
karachi
2. Re: One day trip in Amsterdam

Hi Cecilia,

Thank you so much for the info. seems like I'm packing a lot of stuff in one day. i really wanted to see all these places actually. Didnt want to miss anything so it seems got over ambitious. i actually was planning to visit the royal palace from inside as well.

So what are your recommendations. i def want to do the palace, anne frank house and the museum. i can ditch the van gogh museum. i will leave reach by 9 to anne frank house as it opens then. will book the online tickets to avoid queue for this.

.2 hours there and then to royal palace at 11 am. couple of hours there. then off to possibly jordaan street and then to rijskmuseum. i hope that all can be done in one day?

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 49
3. Re: One day trip in Amsterdam

Jordaan is right across the canal from Anne Frank House so I'd combine those two. But if you prefer to see a lot of museums and the palace, then 'a leisurely stroll through Jordaan' probably won't feel leisurely at all, looking at your watch all the time.

If I were you I'd make a plan for some things you definitely want to see, and then some B-options. If you don't have time for the B-options, too bad. But if they happen to fit in, good for you.

I would advise against going to a coffeeshop before any other serious museumlike visits. Your mind may be too foggy to appreciate what you're seeing. Save that for the evening (after the museums close?) or skip it.

Instead of sitting down for lunch you could also opt for grabbing a take-away sandwich or pizza slice somewhere in order to save time.

For me personally it all sounds quite rushed and hectic, I prefer a maximum of one museum per day and the rest of my time spent walking around, seeing what shops and cafes and other outdoor sights I bump into, just people-watching as I go. Amsterdam is perfect for that. But I can imagine you want to see Anne Frank House (well worth it) and Rijksmuseum (I haven't been yet since the reopening but I hear it's amazing... getting a ticket beforehand will let you skip at least one of two (or three) queues for Rijksmuseum).

Personally I think I'd prefer climbing the Westerkerk tower and seeing the views (right next to Anne Frank House), rather than visiting the royal palace. But who knows, you may be able to do it all.

Another idea: go to Anne Frank House in the evening; that way you could do a lot in the daytime.

karachi
4. Re: One day trip in Amsterdam

I quite agree with you. i would have done the same. but with one day in hand and not knowing when i will return there. I really have to see as many places as i can. but thank you so much for all the help. im a bit more clear in my head regarding the times and everything.

Thanks again :)

Reply to: One day trip in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted