We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
gloucestershire
reviews: 107
Where to stay in Amsterdam

Hi there, my husband and i are thinking of visiting Amsterdam for 3 or 4 days next year for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We will be flying and hoping to not have to hire a car although we will if have too .... i dont even know where in Amsterdam the Red Light District is but know i wont want to stay near there - as you can tell i know nothing about Amsterdam and i know nobody that has been. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! x

8 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

Please see top Q to the right re which area to stay in. Don't even think about renting a car. There's plenty of info in the other questions too.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
2. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

www.ericbnb.com

gloucestershire
3. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

thank you

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
4. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

www.iamsterdam.com > the tourist info website about Amsterdam, what's on, how to plan your trip, museums, nightlife, festivals, markets, public transport, etc etc.

And I recommend you borrow an Amsterdam guidebook from the library (or buy one), it answers all your questions and more. For example TimeOut, Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, 100% Amsterdam, Fodors or which ever takes tour fancy.

Some also have nice suggested walks. Many guidebooks have handy maps and tell you all about what the areas are like, places of interest, museums, nice bars, the coffeeshop/ drugs situation, red light district (and how to avoid it), cost, dangers (getting hit by bikes, pickpocketing), history, Dutch mentality and much more.

Personally I'd recommend you look for an apartment or hotel in De Jordaan or canal belt, and get around on foot and by public transport. Amsterdam is compact. And a nightmare to drive a car in if you're not used to it, both traffic-wise and cost-wise. Trams, buses, metros and even ferries will take you everywhere. Or splurge on a taxi if you feel like it but they are quite pricey.

Enjoy your preparations! And feel free to come back with more specific questions.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:24 pm, August 13, 2013
gloucestershire
5. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

thank you Cecilia thats been a huge help x

The Hague, The...
reviews: 94
6. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

With a credit card you could bid on a 4- or 5 star in areas 2 and 3 at www.priceline.com ,Name your own price. I got a 4 star for 56 $ plus taxes. Mainly NH group. All will be good and well located.

The 5-star NH Barbizon Palace would be near Red LIght District but does not matter. It contains my favourite restaurant www.restaurantvermeer.nl , A great choice for a 25th Anniversary dinner.

2 long threads here about Priceline .

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 58
7. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

I would choose to stay near the canals like Prinsengratch Keizergratch etc....all near the beautiful canals

liverpool, england
reviews: 137
8. Re: Where to stay in Amsterdam

I or should I say we, recently spent our 25th wedding anniversary in Amsterdam (although it was our 16th trip) and had a wonderful time, so can heartily recommend it.

The city is small and easy to walk, alternatively their is a good and regular tram service.

The red light district (main one, De Wallen) is contained in an area that is centred around the canals of Oudezijds Voorburgwal and Oudezijds Achterburgwal and the little streets off these main two roads - just take a look on google maps.

We stayed at the Barbizon Palace, which was mentioned to you as a good location for the rld, on our last 3 trips and have got it on lastminute as a secret hotel, but it has always been easy to identify, and each time got it for £70 a night.It is directly across from centraal station so is easy to get to - but any hotel is relatively easy to get to.

Have a good read on the various posts on this site - the top questions, search the old posts and look at the things to do pages too - and when you have some better ideas as to what you want to do, come back and ask more if you need to.

Enjoy planning your trip for now :-)

Reply to: Where to stay in Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted