We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essen, Germany
reviews: 82
FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

For my next day trip in a couple of weeks I have planned to visit those three museums. They are pretty close together, the FOAM seems to be very interesting for me, not sure if the other ones are too similar? Which one might be the more interesting one?

I have visited a lot of the big museums (Van Gogh, Stedelijk, Hermitage, Rijksmuseum, Nieuwe Kerk, DNA, Eye, Openbaare Biblioteek, Amstelkring, Bags and Purses), so now I will have a look at the smaller ones.

Any suggestions for another museum or something like this not too far outside (for the case that it will rain)? If the weather is fine it might be enough "culture", then I like to wander around...

It´s very convenient to have a Museumskaart, you can step in and out whereever you like, for just a glimpse or a closer look:-))

40 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
31. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Interesting approach, MrOther!

Nowadays my current neighbourhood (Oost) has so many nice bars, museums, markets etc and my work and sports are mostly here, most of my friends live in Oost... that I sometimes realize I haven't left Oost for a whole two weeks. When I lived in Staatsliedenbuurt (West) I had to bike across town a lot more.

Funny isn't it how Jordaan can still confuse you after all those years. It's almost like they built it like that on purpose and laughed to themselves thinking of all those people getting lost. Well at least it's not as bad as Stone Town on Zanzibar :-) , my only help was navigating back to the shore using the sun!

Patara, you are right. In other countries I focus much more on beautiful buildings as well. Over here I sometimes see a tourist pointing his camera upwards and I look up... and discover a building I had never even noticed, cycling past it for many years. I do use my Museumkaart quite a lot but must admit I don't often try a new museum, your list is certainly inspiring and I will try some out!

I do love playing tourist in my own country and city. For example I discovered that the town Medemblik can also be an interesting daytrip from Amsterdam!

Edited: 8:32 am, August 17, 2013
Essen, Germany
32. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

I got so many good suggestions, so I hope sincerely that some day, if anybody of you wil travel to my area, I can return the favour:-))!

So now I will start to watch my city and the whole area with the eyes of a tourist, lol.

Essen, Germany
33. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Well, it´s done, or at least nearly.

Yesterday I had another very nice day in Amsterdam and the weather gods knew what they owe to the tourists too.

From the AC I headed (by walk) to the Keizersgracht, meandering across the RLD and the Waterlooplein.

My first stop was at the Willet-Holthuysen and it was very interesting to see how wealthy citizens have lived in former times. The garden behind the house was beautiful and I learnt that all these properties have been two buildings with a garden between, but in this case the second building has gone.

My second stop was at the FOAM, only to get to know that all the exhibition rooms upstairs have been closed because of an upcomimg exhibition, you just could have a look at the pictures in the basement. I liked them but it was a VERY short visit!. (You don´t have to pay any entrance fee though).

So I decided to have a look into a canal house museum I had passed on the same street: Museum Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis

http://geelvinck.nl/

It´s the former house of a prosperous merchant who has made his money with coffee, cacao and sugar.

As I´m a book freak I liked the library very much. In the basement there was an exhibtion about slavery..... The employees were very helpful and informative without being pushy, you could feel that they liked this job (and this house).

My last stop was the Van Loon Museum. As there was a smell of coffee in the air I followed this smell across the lovely garden to the carriage house. It´s no real cafe, you can order coffee, tea or limonade and apple tarte, and I did it at once. The sun was shining and it was very peaceful to sit in the lovely garden and relax. Of course I had a closer look to the rooms afterwards.

It´s nearly impossible for me to decide which of the houses I liked most. They are similar in general but different in the details, you will see a lot of splendor and glamour, and get a kind of feeling for those times and the upper class society.

Then my son arrived and we decided to walk eastbound and visit perhaps the Portuguese Synagogue (ASO). But as the weather was still sunny we haven´t been keen on visiting another sight, instead of this we had a stroll along the Amstel, on the Weespersijde till Cafe Hesp,and I didn´t regret it. It was such a lovely walk and a very nice area, with beautiful houses, obviously an affluent neighborhood. My son told me that he often goes there after work, sitting on a bench and enjoying the view.

We came along the cafe "De Ysbreeker", recommend by this forum recently, but he wanted to show me one of his fave cafes with a roof top terrace "Canvas" on the Wibautstraat, but it is closed and under construction for some months.

http://www.canvas7.nl/canvas.html

So we headed back towards the center and just by fortune we came along the "Cafe Loetje", famous for it´s best steaks in Amsterdam. As it wasn´t "steak time" for me around 4 pm we had a Loetje Burger and the meat was very good. We will try the steaks another time for dinner.

It was a very enjoyable and nice day, and I can highly recommend a visit of at least one of the "canal house museums" and if you have the time, a stroll along the Amstel.

I have skipped the museums around the Plantages for my next visit, or so:-).

Edited: 8:34 am, September 12, 2013
Amsterdam
reviews: 69
34. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Nice read. Thx Patara.

Essen, Germany
35. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

I have forgotten to mention that "if I were a rich (wo)man..." I would like to stay at the Amstel InterContinental Amsterdam , it looks gorgeous!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
36. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Thanks for the update. I had saved this thread when you first started it, but it's good to hear about your visit.

Essen, Germany
37. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

@Mez3000, if you are staying at Amsterdam for longer and if the weather is fine, I would highly recommend at least a short walk along this Weesperzijde and the Amstel. It´s such a calm area (after the hustle and bustle in the RLD, Kalverstraat ASO).

Maybe some people will find it boring, maybe many tourists prefer the Jordaan or DePijp, and I think both are very worth a visit too, but I liked this area very much too.

Hopefully I will stay at the city for longer next year, so that I can join into the nightlife too:-))!

Edited: 10:02 am, September 13, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
38. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

My next trip will be in darkest January - LOL. And since it's more about museum visits it's better than nothing.

Essen, Germany
39. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Two years ago I was in Amsterdam for a long weekend in February, and it was VERY cold and even a little snowy. But the sun was shining, people were skating at the frozen canals and there were some very interesting special exhibitions, eg in the Hermitage and the Nieuwe Kerk. So the time flew, we never got bored and beside the sightseeings we enjoyed the cosy warm restaurants and cafes:-)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
40. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Mez3000, you could rent skates and join the locals on Jaap Eden 400 meter ice skating rink. :-) And have typically Dutch distilled drinks afterwards, for example Beerenburger or jenever. www.jaapeden.nl

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Reply to: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted