We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
13,045 posts
99 reviews
FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

For my next day trip in a couple of weeks I have planned to visit those three museums. They are pretty close together, the FOAM seems to be very interesting for me, not sure if the other ones are too similar? Which one might be the more interesting one?

I have visited a lot of the big museums (Van Gogh, Stedelijk, Hermitage, Rijksmuseum, Nieuwe Kerk, DNA, Eye, Openbaare Biblioteek, Amstelkring, Bags and Purses), so now I will have a look at the smaller ones.

Any suggestions for another museum or something like this not too far outside (for the case that it will rain)? If the weather is fine it might be enough "culture", then I like to wander around...

It´s very convenient to have a Museumskaart, you can step in and out whereever you like, for just a glimpse or a closer look:-))

Sackville
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

The Willet-Holthuysen doesn't get a lot of praise around here bit I like it a lot.

I've been twice and will go again.

The house is just the way a wealthy woman left it to the city in 1895. It's a large, well furnished handsome house. I love the blue room downstairs (and have tried to copy it in my house!). Each room looks different at times of the day and season when the sun changes intensity and direction.

It's fun to imagine the parties and life the house has seen. It's not a blockbuster attraction but a quiet, simple pleasure.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Patara -

Your English is so perfect I have often wondered if you are German.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

I think these three are great. FOAM is completely different than the other two though, being just a photography gallery more than a museum, imo. I have only been to Loon and Willet-Holthuysen once and we really enjoyed them. Yes they are close and can be done walking without issue.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
11,432 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Out of those three I've only been to FOAM. For me it depends very much on which exhibition they have at that moment, whether I like it or not. Oftentimes I find them a bit too arty and pretentious, or I am too simple a soul myself to understand Art with a capital A.

I tend to prefer the photo exhibitions in Huis Marseille, or in Fotomuseum in Rotterdam (currently Robert Doisneau in Fotomuseum R'dam, photographer of that famous 'the kiss' photo, very nice expo, some unknown styles by him too).

In Amsterdam I also like Verzetsmuseum (National Resistance Museum), NEMO science museum, Scheepvaartmuseum (maritime), Tropenmuseum (anthropology and colonial past). The last one currently had a temporary exhibition about islamic art and MC Escher. I want to go see that for sure, I adore Escher.

I also visited Tot Zover museum about death and all its worldwide rituals but don't know if I'd recommend it per se.

See this too: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/what-to-do/m…

In Haarlem I like Dolhuys about the history of psychiatry, but not sure if it's in other languages than Dutch. Shocking and interesting though, with chairs they used to tie patients up to, tests you can do about yourself and a lot about the history of medication and treatments.

Enjoy all your museum visits!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 6:46 pm, August 13, 2013
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
13,045 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and replies. There are still many sites I would like to visit, eg the Portugese Synagoge, so I think I will have to do many more trips to Amsterdam:-)).

@ddavis1950, I´m German, my English is basic, and I often have to use a dictionary. That´s what makes a real conversation pretty difficult, lol.

Edited: 11:21 pm, August 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
162 reviews
6. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

I visited the Van Loon in June. It's just as if the owners are out for the day and you get to wander around their house. The garden out the back is lovely - it is part of the Open Garden Days scheme. And there is a coach house at the back of the garden. There was a sign on the back of the kitchen door to make sure the house cat didn't get in. I just loved this museum and would thoroughly recommend a visit.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
11,432 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

I have to go see that Van Loon! Indeed, having a Museumkaart is excellent.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Be sure to visit the Bazel on Vijzelstraat. A lot will depend on the exhibition at the moment but if nothing else it is great to visit one of the foremost examples of art deco architecture in the world. As the former city archives, the original city charter was "rediscovered" a few years ago in one of the old files. Go to the level below ground and find out about it.

While visiting the Portuguese Synagogue, take a while to wander the area. Cecile mentioned earlier the resistance museum - it is definitely worth a look. Check out the monument in Meijer Square as well as the Dutch Schouwberg.

Have you ever visited the Tuschinski Theater just off the Rembrandtplein. If you are in the area it is a place you can just duck into for a couple minutes (without charge) and just take it all in.

Viel Spaß

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen are delightful vignettes of Life in Amsterdam in the not so distant past. The Museums are quiet and elegant. It would make for a leisurely day. Well worth visiting in my humble opinion.

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,781 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: FOAM, Van Loon and Willet-Holthuysen

If you are a cat lover, you could hit 2 birds with the same stone by visiting the Kattenkabinet www.kattenkabinet.nl/index.php… . The patrician house was built in 1667 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KattenKabinet