We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good cheap hotel near dam square

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Good cheap hotel near dam square

Looking at booking a weekend in amsterdam for me and my boyfriend as a surprise for his 30th.

Wondered if anybody could recommend a good cheap hotel close to where it all happens. I heard dan square is where all the night life, restaruants and red light district are so close to that would be good or don't mind getting on a tram as long as close to tram stop and easy access. Any advice appreciated will be are first trip there . Thanks in advance Hayley

9 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
1. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

Two things you need to define first.

Cheap and Good

A hostel?

A one star maybe a 2 with no lift and lots of stairs and the shower and loo down the hall?

A great rate at the 5 star Krasnapolsky?

Almost any place within the center should work for you.

It's a small easy to get around in center and clubs, and bars, and coffeeshops, and even red light districts can be found through out the centre.

As far as cheap? For some people that will mean one thing for others something totally different.

How much are you looking to spend per night?

Edited: 1:12 pm, August 06, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 48
2. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

I'd stay close to Leidseplein if I were you. Dam Square has all the overpriced tourist bars and ugly Damrak running off it.

Leidseplein has various nightclubs, bars, is close to Vondelpark and De Jordaan and museums, and also has a wider choice of restaurants.

But if you prefer Dam Square that doesn't make a huge difference distancewise. It's a compact city.

See the Top Questions on the top right of this page: Which area of the city should I stay in? and: Can you suggest a cheap hotel?.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 1:34 pm, August 06, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
3. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

Try the RHO or the new Hotel V on Nes. Cheap is relative so what actually is your budget??

I know Brianc got the Krasnapolsky for about €60 pn the other week on Priceline

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
4. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

There is also Hotel Pax or the Nadia a few minutes walking. Cornerhouse Hotel could also be a good choice.

Florida
reviews: 46
5. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

Friends have strongly recommended Hotel Clemens, about 5 minutes from Dam Square, due west on Raadhuisstraat (very close to the above mentioned Hotel Nadia). Best Western Dam Square also gets good reviews. Both hotels include breakfast in their rates. I do think you'll like the area around the Leidseplein a bit more, especially at night. If you really need to budget and want to stay near the Leidseplein, go for the Hotel Abba.

Utah
6. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

I will not be staying until October but I found this Apartment on the VRO site. It's had great reviews although small.

http://www.vrbo.com/334392

The Hague, The...
reviews: 93
7. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

I got the perfectly located 4-star NH Amsterdam Centre for 54 euro (56 $ plus 14 = 70 $) at www.priceline.com , Name your own price, areas 2 and 3 , start at 55 $

Requires a credit card. Otherwise search at www.booking.com

Without knowing a budget it is hard to recommend anything.

Edited: 10:33 am, August 07, 2013
Doncaster, United...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

Either cheap or good im afraid you wont get both near dam square what is your hotel budget per night ??

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 36
9. Re: Good cheap hotel near dam square

Amsterdam is actually pretty small, so staying a few canals out means cheaper (yet better) food and beer... and a 5-10 minute stroll gets you to the center.

Reply to: Good cheap hotel near dam square
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted