We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Inverness
reviews: 80
Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

I am disgusted to learn that mobility scooters are not allowed in the Rijksmuseum. We had really been looking forward to visiting after the renovation. But now I see on their site that scooters are not allowed. The three wheeled version my husband uses is lighter than an electric wheelchair that would be allowed and smaller than many children's pushchairs which are also allowed. So how the heck are they getting away with what has to be blatant discrimination? I noticed that the tourist site for Amsterdam claims it is a disabled friendly city- clearly untrue.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 77
31. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

all getting too personal now, probably best it all ends now.

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
32. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

<boom>

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 24
33. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

To the OP; you need to direct your unhappiness to the museum direct. If you're left unsatisfied by their reply then just move on.. complaining here won't get anything done about it.

Essen, Germany
reviews: 82
34. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

I think they did but the reply wasn´t satisfying.

But I suppose that even if we all would complain at the museum it wouldn´t change anything.

The only chance that comes to my mind would be a complaint at the Ministry of Culture (or something like this) but I don´t think that it would work, and not at all immediately for the OP.

Sometimes we all have to accept a fact or a restriction that we don´t like and which is perhaps unfair , but if we aren´t able to change it we have to cope with it, or we will spoil our life with bitterness :-)

Edited: 9:17 am, August 17, 2013
Inverness
reviews: 80
35. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

yes time to close down- to summarise

Patara01 you have helped me calm down- this week has seen me go from furious to frustrated to fascinated by the various replies on here and the disabled travel forum.

Many thanks to you all , you have given me much to think about in regards to travel with disability in the last week. shaunslob and cecile74 have given me some reasons why the ban might exist and I was sorry to hear of their experiences ,which do not bode well for those of us who wish to use the new generation mobility aids responsibly. MrOther and juejosh have assured me that the Rijks dismissive attitude is not just on this issue. I was mighty amused to know that they are anti bike as well!! I am sorry if I seemed to be demanding that places like the Ann Frank should be altered to fit all disabilities, I certainly do not hold that position. Indeed once I calmed down it dawned on me that maybe the Rijks has fragile and valuable floors , like the Hermitage, and had they responded to that effect I would have understood. Hell if they had responded at all I would have shut up sooner!Also thanks to all those from the disability forum who have used wheelchairs in museums and reassured me that those are generally not as impossible as the examples I have used in hospitals and airports. I can now consider a trip involving public use chairs.

But I still maintain that allowing electric wheelchairs and not scooter/buggies is illogical.I accept that we are the biggest losers from not going .I accept that just two tourists withdrawing their trade are not going to change anything. BUT I do not and will not accept that we should all accept that rules are rules and be grateful for what we are given. Rules are made by people and people can be wrong and persuaded to change. However, this is not the place for that campaign and once again I thank you all for your interest. Next time you see a Travelscoot with a large man in it and a little lady along side give a wave - it may be us- but in Amsterdam for now at least!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
36. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

and if you see a lady in a wheelchair with purple hair...or is it orange..give a wave it might be juelosh

Essen, Germany
reviews: 82
37. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

:-))

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 5
38. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Nuff said.!!! Good debate ..

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
39. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Let us know what you thought of the museum!

liverpool, england
reviews: 142
40. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Cecile, I dont think the OP is visiting Amsterdam now - according to her post on another forum; Steve, it plain boring brown since it grew back - but I have just bought some rainbow hair chalks so the skys the limit - will let you know, lol x