We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Inverness
reviews: 71
Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

I am disgusted to learn that mobility scooters are not allowed in the Rijksmuseum. We had really been looking forward to visiting after the renovation. But now I see on their site that scooters are not allowed. The three wheeled version my husband uses is lighter than an electric wheelchair that would be allowed and smaller than many children's pushchairs which are also allowed. So how the heck are they getting away with what has to be blatant discrimination? I noticed that the tourist site for Amsterdam claims it is a disabled friendly city- clearly untrue.

40 replies to this topic
Bruges, Belgium
reviews: 1
1. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

You can lend a wheelchair at the museum.

Inverness
reviews: 71
2. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

No use he weighs more than I do and can not push himself around, hence the wonderful gadget called a Travelscoot- best three wheels on the planet! Getting more cross by the minute as I can not find a way to register my compliant with the museum itself, the website is a disgrace . How much did the poor Dutch spend on this revamp- I am beginning to think they was short changed

Essen, Germany
reviews: 79
3. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

I would send a message to this e-mail adress, describe your scooter and ask if it might be allowed

https:/…contact

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

about a half billion euros

5. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:44 am, August 03, 2013

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
6. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Just like Patara said. Send them an email describing your situation and the scooter your husband is using.

If you still get a negative response let us know and we will be more than happy to start a public pillorying of the Rijksmuseum.

Essen, Germany
reviews: 79
7. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

I suppose that it will be handled like this because some scooters are very big, noisy and fast....

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
8. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

What is the policy of other major museums?

Say the VanGogh? Or any other major museum in Paris or NYC?

Seems to me that having wheel chairs available for those that need them to be a solution for most.

Clearly not all as evidenced by this thread.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
9. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

Interesting.

The Riks is the only one that directly addresses mobility scooters directly as far as I can see. A very quick look.

Motorized wheelchairs seem to be OK at Riks and VGM but no scooters at the Riks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
10. Re: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude

my dad had one of the scooters..i used to rip up and down the sidewalk in it doing spin outs..memories aside..they are heavy and they can move at a pretty good clip..perhaps a crowded environment is not the best place for these type of scooters. handicapped access is important of course but the safety of the patrons is important as well. it is not like they forbid handicapped access. they present options.

Reply to: Can not Believe anti Disabled attitude
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted