We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fahan, Ireland
reviews: 36
WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I recently lost my brother to the canals in Amsterdam. A young husband and father to two young boys. Tourists must be aware that there is no safety railings at these canals an they have a slope at the sides making it difficult to get out if you slip in. I have researched that their has been 53 deaths in the last few years in the canals and all but one was accidentally falling into the canals. On many occasion it has been due to alcohol so I know we all enjoy our time on holidays but just make sure you keep away from the canals when you are drinking and never go walking on your own either if you have had a drink or even a smoke. If we can save one life from people taking this message on board then that would be a blessing.

Stay safe

72 replies to this topic
Weilerbach, Germany
61. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. A high school friend of mine also drowned in the canals back in 2001. He was living in Amsterdam at the time, and his death was ruled an accident. It deeply saddens me to think of his final moments struggling to get out of the canal and the fear he must have felt. I hope your message helps to prevent future accidents.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
62. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Another one post revival. I'm with Steve. How do they find the threads?

Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
63. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

LOL, I think it's probably the owner of a company that sells high fences....

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
64. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

At least they are not the type to have a "first and only post" telling us about this great deal they could not help but pass on from some company that allegedly did business with.

Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
65. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Just to clarify, I am sorry to hear about your loss Keith, I don't laugh about that.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
66. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

baltimoresun.com/news/…904673.htmlpage

Not just Amsterdam. Booze being the common denominator.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
67. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Very easy solution - just put up a fence around the inner Harbor.

Maybe better - more people should start smoking dope instead of drinking so much.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
68. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

It's interesting when you look at the pins on the map

The biggest concentration is right at the foot -----at the waters edge---of fells point.

Fells is the epi center of the drinking culture in Baltimore. Sort of like the Preakness infield but year around.

Fahan, Ireland
69. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Yes u can man the canals cause foyle search and reduce in derry do it Foyle Search and Rescue was established as a charity in July 1993 and has adopted the role of protecting human life in and around the River Foyle in Derry / Londonderry, one of the most dangerous and fastest flowing rivers in Europe, infamous for its high level of mortality. The charity and its volunteers are keenly aware of the huge responsibility that goes with this role. Their dedication in patrolling the river and its banks in all seasons and in all weathers is the single greatest asset of Foyle Search & Rescue. The persistence and dedication of our volunteers is a constant source of amazement to many people.

During our existence our interventions have saved many lives and brought comfort to many bereaved families, which inspires our volunteers to continually dedicate their time and skill to the charity. It is this amazing dedication by men and women of all ages and backgrounds that enables us to face the challenges of the future with confidence.

Foyle Search & Rescue has grown to be a source of comfort to many who look to them not only to search for those who are missing, but more importantly to prevent people entering and dying in the river.

We have formalized and established an effective suicide prevention strategy that will continue to save lives through:

prevention-by our presence on duty nights.

intervention-through physical, personal contact.

Volenters only this is what community is about !!!'

Fahan, Ireland
70. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I set up this post to warn tourist of the canals so for those that decided to be hateful shame you all I want is for tourist to be careful cause they don't know the dangers of the canals thanks for all the positive feedback but we all know nothing will be done to save life's here so this is all it is an what was a warning! If u go here please take care cause another family does not have to go through the pain that we did

Reply to: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted