We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fahan, Ireland
reviews: 37
WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I recently lost my brother to the canals in Amsterdam. A young husband and father to two young boys. Tourists must be aware that there is no safety railings at these canals an they have a slope at the sides making it difficult to get out if you slip in. I have researched that their has been 53 deaths in the last few years in the canals and all but one was accidentally falling into the canals. On many occasion it has been due to alcohol so I know we all enjoy our time on holidays but just make sure you keep away from the canals when you are drinking and never go walking on your own either if you have had a drink or even a smoke. If we can save one life from people taking this message on board then that would be a blessing.

Stay safe

72 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
1. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and your brother's family. We of course read about this in our news and were quite saddened at this tragic and senseless death. Your warning is a great one that I hope will help someone avoid the same accident in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
2. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I am going to assume that these canal accidents are usually associated with drinking?

Always sad when you hear something like this

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 59
3. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Very sad to hear about your loss.

There should be more ladder-like things along the walls of the canals. It's shocking how many people die simply because they cannot climb out (whether drunk or not), and then cool down and drown...

I wish you strength in dealing with your loss and that of his sons and family.

Fahan, Ireland
4. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Thank you for your kind words,iif we can help people to be more aware at least we can do some good.

Fahan, Ireland
5. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Thank you for your kind words,iif we can help people to be more aware at least we can do some good.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
6. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

sorry to hear about your loss. I think Cecilia's suggestion of some kind of ladder may be a good idea.

Haarlem, The...
reviews: 167
7. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I'm sorry for your loss.

I saw a program on tv about canal deaths a while ago and the tried to get out but it was almost impossible. A tip was for a bystander to hold a bicycle over the edge so the fallen person has something to grab onto and can climb out.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
8. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

I did not know about this as I was in Spain at the time. Sorry for your loss and it is a reminder of the tragedy that can happen. We don't want to see the canals fenced off but I do agree that there should be more ladders or lifesaving devices

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
9. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

<There should be more ladder-like things along the walls of the canals.>

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Prayers.

Fahan, Ireland
10. Re: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals

Yes I agree Amsterdam is beautiful an the canals are the main attraction an fencing would never be an option. But something like volunteers watching the canals at night or ladders would help. We have a whole team of volunteers at city of derry an they are wonderful heros. But even one person reading this that is more aware when they visit the city would be a bonus

Reply to: WARNING to tourists!.be careful of the canals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted