We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, Vermont
reviews: 8
E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

Hello

Could someone direct me to some good guidebooks about Amsterdam that I can put on my Kindle Fire? For me, it sure beats carrying a lot of books in my suitcase. I would also like something like 'little walks in Amsterdam' if such a thing exists.

Also any map apps, weird apps, etc. are welcome. I love apps for my iPhone and Kindle.

In addition, I enjoy reading blogs about cities. I have found Cecilia's writings quite helpful.

Thanks to all

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
1. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

Best APP I have seen. I have not used it yet for Amsterdam but have for other cities. Will not use "data Roaming" but will connect to satellite signal while you are out and about. Will give you your location on a map and tell you what's nearby to include restaurants, points on interest, etc. Go to webpage and follow instructions:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/apps-icityguides

Another great APP:

holland.com/us/…holland-apps.htm

Edited: 4:21 pm, May 14, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
2. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

'Spotted by Locals' has free articles on their website (so copy those??), but for the app you pay a little bit of money for each city's tips by locals. But it's worth it.

I often use 'Foursquare' to find nice cafes and restaurants nearby.

The '9292' app might be useful, the public transport door-to-door journey planner.

'Converter' (by KLM) is excellent for anything you may want to convert: meters to yards, euros to dollars, centigrade to fahrenheit, European to American shoe sizes, etc.

I have bad experience with the Lonely Planet Warsaw app, it really didn't have much info in it for the 8 euros or so I paid for it. So I would't pay for an LP app.

An offline map could come in handy. I don't know of any with walks in them... I like the (paper) guidebooklet "100% Amsterdam" BECAUSE it suggests various walks (with maps and all), which are also easy to convert into your own itinerary. bol.com/nl/… but don't know if they have it as an app... ah, it seems they do but I have no idea how good it is compared to the booklet. And it also seems the Amsterdam one is free at the moment (for iPhone)! But it might be the Dutch version only.

If you have hayfever you might like the app called 'Pollen Lite' which tells you how bad the pollen situation is at that moment. :-)

Veel plezier, have fun, and don't overplan ;-)

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 6:43 pm, May 14, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
3. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

Okay. I downloaded and browsed through it... The 100% Amsterdam city guide app is in Dutch. It is free for iPhone at the moment. It does contain various great walks in a map (kaart) that also seems to work offline. In the map you see the route as well as highlights, nice cafes, shops etc. The places they chose are good choices. The descriptions are in Dutch but you may understand some basics. And the walks are also really nice so you could just follow those and see what you run into.

The paper booklet (in English) is for sale at shops like American Bookstore at Spui, A La Carte in Utrechtsestraat, Scheltema, many other shops, and probably at the airport too. It doesn't weigh much.

Underhill, Vermont
reviews: 8
4. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

Thank you very much, Cecile

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
reviews: 6
5. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

I second the TA & Spottedbylocals apps

6. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, October 18, 2013
7. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:48 am, October 19, 2013
Edited: 11:48 am, October 19, 2013
8. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, December 04, 2013
9. Re: E-Books, Apps, Blogs, etc.

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 05, 2014