We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Somerville...
reviews: 4
amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

I know there have been many questions about traveling to Bruges from Amsterdam, but I do have a specific situation I'd love advice on.

We have a flight already roundtrip to/from Amsterdam, so we can't change our flight. We have 7 nights in Amsterdam, and we already are planning to do some day trips to the surrounding Dutch towns. But a lot of friends have raved about Bruges. Given how they have talked, I thought it was closer than it actually is! So my question is: to overnight or Bruges or not?

I think we could do a high-speed train roundtrip. Three hours both ways is long for one day in a place, but I think it's doable. (Is that crazy?) Based on timetables we could be in Bruges by noon and stay until 9pm or so, which seems like enough time -- it's just the six hours on a train in one day that I'm not sure about.

If we were to stay in Bruges, though, we'd basically have to have three hotels: one in Amsterdam for the first part, one in Bruges for one night, and then one in Amsterdam for the second part of the Amsterdam trip, because I am too nervous to take a train from Bruges to the airport in Amsterdam the day the flight leaves (it's... possible -- but it would destroy all my relaxation from the trip!). Since we hope to have a houseboat for the first part, I think we'd have to stay in a hotel for the last night before leaving.

So I'm trying to weigh, on one hand, the convenience of having a hotel in Amsterdam for the whole time versus the more relaxed (and less expensive) train trip to get to Bruges and back. Any advice?

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
11. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

Delft!

devon
reviews: 28
12. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

The train is great from bruge to Amsterdam, if you go with thalys, you get a pre booked seat, wifi available and there is a stand up bar carriage and also some food available. I thought it a great way to relax. The thalys trains appeared to be very accurate

I agree with previous posts, hire a house boat for the week, just take an overnight bag and stay for one night in Bruges

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 49
13. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

Very cute, small, picturesque places in the Netherlands are Naarden-Vesting, Oudewater, Wijk-bij-Duurstede, Marken, Edam, Zuiderwoude, Hattem, and many more.

Hattem is one of the Hanzesteden (medieval Hanze cities), there are 6 others including Zwolle, Deventer, Hasselt, Zutphen.. Look it up through the internet, I don't know all 7 names. All very pretty. Deventer and Zwolle can be reached by train, maybe some of the others too.

I also love Nijmegen, over 2000 years old city with a slight remainder of its squat / arty / gayfriendly / leftwing past. Beautiful scenery around it for bike rides: rivers, farms, meadows, hills.

Edited: 3:35 am, April 17, 2013
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
14. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

Volendam, Marken and Edam. Will be a much more leisurely day and will provide fantastic sights.

Atlanta
15. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

I think the overnight in Bruges is virtually a must. Beautiful little city after dark.

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
16. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

Magic in the evening, isn't it? That is why all of us who have experienced being there when all the daytrippers are gone recommend staying overnight.

Kristina, if you end up skipping the beauty of Bruges, you might want to include Enkhuizen in your Netherlands' journeys. 1 hour train ride from Amsterdam, hourly departures. Lovely old town, lovely Zuiderzee Open Air Museum.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
17. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

No city compares to Bruges imo, and overnights is a must.

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
18. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

How could THIS be beaten?

http://www.trabel.com/brugge.htm

…brugge.be/simpleviewer/…index.html

chronomant.net/dynimage/fit/900/650/bruges-a…

trabel.com/albums/…bruges-024-dijver.htm

http://www.bestourism.com/medias/dfp/3455

19. Re: amsterdam to bruges - day trip or overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 19, 2014