We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 49
Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Planning trip to Zuiderzee museum. Was going to take steam train, but searching schedule it looks like it is an all day trip from Amsterdam to Hoorn, steam train to Medemblik and then boat to zuiderzee museum - it doesn't arrive until 2:45pm. Not enough time to see the museum fully.

So am looking for alternatives.

Train direct to Enkhuizen is 1hr.01min. 10.20 Euros p.p. Can leave 8:35am, arrive 9:36am in time for opening at 10am

walk to museum - 10 min. Open 10-5pm.

***minimally how much time should we allow at the museum? 2 adults, no children.

Now I'm wondering if we can somehow utilize a Waterland ticket (10euros)- combine bus from Amsterdam Central to Hoorn (waterland ticket) and use rountrip trip rail Hoorn to Enkhuizen, returning in the afternoon to continue with all day waterland ticket and visit Edam/Volendarm/Marken.

Train Enkhuizen to Hoorn 2:24 arrives 2:46 3.70Euros per person

Can we get Waterland bus from Hoorn to Volendam/Edam on a Sunday? Bus route #? Schedule?

Since it is a Sunday - limited service?

How late do they run?

Travel time involved?

Thanks for any help. I know it is a lot of questions.

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
1. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Time for properly enjoying your visit at the Z.O.Museum: I would say 2 to 3 hours, eventually more if you want to look into the very quaint Enkhuizen proper. Note that you do not *walk* to the museum, the only way in is by boat, which you catch behind the train station; way out is by walking. Incidentally, the tourist office (VVV) is adjacent to the train station as well - grab a map if you want to explore the town afterwards.

I will leave the other questions to more informed people than myself.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
2. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Yes, it should work. Use www.9292.nl/en for times etc, as long as the bus is indicated as 'EBS' it's covered under Waterlanddagkaart.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Toronto
3. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Thank You both for the information. Is there a time limit on the day pass - until 5pm? or how late can we use it?

Cheers!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
4. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Hi again,

Valid all day, until last bus!

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Austin, TX
reviews: 14
5. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

I believe that it may be possible to walk to the museum from the train station -- at least, we walked FROM the museum to the station two years ago, as was mentioned above. There is a back entrance not far from the indoor museum -- is the little ticket office there open sometimes? Perhaps the website would have more information.

Edited: 10:58 am, April 03, 2013
Austin, TX
reviews: 14
6. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

From the museum's website:

" The museum is a 10 minute walk from Enkhuizen’s NS Station. Follow the signs for ‘Zuiderzeemuseum’.

"It is also possible to take the museum ferry to the Outdoor Museum. The ferry leaves from the jetty behind the VVV office (opposite Enkhuizen’s NS Station). Buy your tickets in advance at the VVV office and you are ready to go.

"The Zuiderzee Museum is accessible for wheelchairs."

If you are pressed for time, it would be faster to walk rather than take the ferry. But the ferry ride is very pleasant

Edited: 11:06 am, April 03, 2013
Toronto
7. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

I had read this on their website as well, so assumed we will walk into the museum.

The bus connections look very good and frequent, so I think we can manage to fit in the various cities during our day, while still giving a full 3-4 hours to the Zuiderzee museum.

So plan is Waterland bus to Hoorn. Bus 314 1 hour trip 10 Euros per person for Waterland ticket

Bus 314 7:55am arrives Hoorn 8:58

Train Hoorn to Enkhuizen Train 20 min trip 3.70 Euros per person

Train departs Hoorn 9:15am Arrives Enkhuizen 9:36am non stop

ZuiderZee Museum open 10-5 3-4 hour visit minimum Entrance 14.55 Euros per person

Return Train Enkhuizen to Hoorn Train 20 min.trip 3.70 Euros per person

Train Departs Enkhuizen 1:24pm Arrives Hoorn 1:46pm ( Train runs 24 & 54 min. after the hour)

Hoorn - allow 1 hour in Hoorn then bus to Edam around 3pm

Waterland bus to Edam Bus 30 min trip remaining buses included Waterland bus ticket

*allow 1 hour to Edam

Waterland bus to Volendam - around 4:30, arrive 4:50 Bus 20 min. trip *read tourist office is across from bus stop for local information and maps, plus free toilet facilities. Allow 1 1/2 hrs - 2 hours in Volendam

Waterland bus to Marken ( 1 change) via Boeck 54min.

OR Ferry Volendam to Marken - last trip is 1730 @ 6.50Euros pp

Bus is free, included in Waterland ticket. Ferry takes 30min. Bus takes 54min.

Marken to Amsterdam. Bus 46min. Bus 311 last bus 23:11 arrives Amsterdam 23:57.

Bus schedules (http://9292.nl/en) allow us great freedom for how long we wish to stay in each location.

total cost, Bus/Train/Museum entrance Euros 31.95 per person

Also noticed it won't be getting dark at that time of year until 10pm, so lots of daylight to see all we want to see. :)

Found free walking maps for Hoorn, Edam & Volendam at this site: http://freebeemap.com/

They also have maps for other locations we will be visiting during our stay Delft, Den Haag, Scheveningen & katwijk.

Thank you all for your input!

Toronto
8. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

Will there be much to do in Marken on a Sunday evening - 8pm onwards?

Also has anyone any information on walking from Volendam to Marken, following the dam? Thought I had read something about it, but can't find the information. Length of walk?

9. Re: Zuiderzee Museum and Waterland same day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2014