We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day euro road trip

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
5 day euro road trip

Hi,

I am planning a road trip for 5 days in the last week of April. The journey will start from Amsterdam. I am especially looking for

-good roads

-scenery

-local food

-beaches(Although can do without them)

Till now I have thought of following options:

1. Amsterdam-Monaco-Nice-Barcelona-Amsterdam

2. Amsterdam-Lyon-Barcelona-Valencia-Amsterdam

Can you plz suggest me better routes or improve the above mentioned.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
1. Re: 5 day euro road trip

Why do you want to include all these big cities?

When doing these trips in 5 days, you will spend all your time on the highway and will see nothing.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
2. Re: 5 day euro road trip

Like Grolland says, the itinerary you have laid out is awfully aggressive and you are not going to see much other than the highways. The driving time alone through Nice to Barcelona is over 20 hours with a direct return time of over 13. Going to Lyon and Valencia is worse.

Would you be interested in going to Normandy & Brittany with Honfleur as a base? Less than 6 hours with great surrounding areas to explore. If you want to go a little further down the coast of France, consider La Rochelle, still less than 9 hours. Both have all the criteria you are looking for.

While on the surface it might seem almost as aggressive as the trips you have laid out, if you were to go down to Biarritz and San Sebastian (Spain) it would be much easier as everything is on the same route. Beautiful scenery and great roads. As the saying goes, San Sebastian has more Michelin stars per square meter than anywhere else in Europe. Maybe a day trip to Bilboa but again you are moving further away from Amsterdam.

Another intermediate end point you might consider would be Bordeaux, less than 10 hours from Amsterdam with great food and better wine.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 129
3. Re: 5 day euro road trip

A total waste of time is what I think but it is your Trip.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
4. Re: 5 day euro road trip

Have to agree with the others. You are mad to even think of covering such distances. From Amsterdam to France and back in your timescale is about doable. Spain is way way too far.

Amsterdam
5. Re: 5 day euro road trip

Nice one, Bev. LOL

Rajdeep, you're going to kill yourself trying to do what you have in mind. Try one od DD's itineraries instead. Personally, I love Normandy (cheese, Calvados, moules marinières) and there are some great values B&B's if you're just a mile or two inland from the coast.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
6. Re: 5 day euro road trip

My suggestion would be either to head to Mont-Saint-Michel, France and just meander in that area for a few days before heading back or towards Arlon, Belgium and explore the Ardennes and Luxembourg for the time you have. Both are beautiful areas with lovely scenic drives, lots of local food and fitting for a 5 day road trip.

Boston...
reviews: 4
7. Re: 5 day euro road trip

I designed a 6 day trip which covered 1600 km last summer and there's no doubt it can be quite tiring. You're only in each place for a day and then it's back on the road. That being said, it was one of the highlights of my trip (this was not based in AMS, fyi).

For you, if you're really set on doing this. I'd try to stick to a max of 1600-1800km. That gives you about 4-4.5 hours of driving a day which isn't too bad as long as you get an early start. How about:

AMS - Frankfurt - Zurich - Luxembourg - The Hague (will get you near the beach) - AMS.

Total trip is about 1700km. Honestly, it's still pretty aggressive but if you have your mind set on a road trip, that's an option.

-2wks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: 5 day euro road trip

i would just stay in benelux...maybe swing over to western germany or pop into france..5 days isnt much time

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: 5 day euro road trip

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. After considering your suggestions and also exploring online, I came to the following options:

1. Go to normandy area as suggested by ddavis(approx 2500Km drive)

2. Fly to Barcelona, rent a car, go to valencia-malaga-granada-fly back to Amsterdam(approx 1300Km drive)

3. Amsterdam-marseille-monaca-milan-Amsterdam(this is highly aggressive/ambitious) (approx 2800Km drive)

can you please help me refine/select anyone of these.

10. Re: 5 day euro road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:54 am, April 06, 2013
Edited: 2:54 am, April 06, 2013