We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve 2013

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
reviews: 2
New Years Eve 2013

Hi,

I am planning on meeting a friend for New Year's Eve 2013/2014 in Amsterdam. I know this is early to be planning but I need to book long haul flights in the next month or so.

I am looking for a back up plan in case I end up there on my own. I've read that the centre of the city can be jam packed and this doesn't really appeal, but I do like the idea of seeing all the fireworks.

Any suggestions?

I'd consider going to a different city in The Netherlands.

37 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
11. Re: New Years Eve 2013

If nothing else, you could at least read this thread.

Edited: 4:39 pm, July 30, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
12. Re: New Years Eve 2013

go see the anne frank house and stay at amstel intercontinental

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
13. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Bert8888, read the Top Questions at your right, then come back with more specific questions. We don't know what your interests are.

San Diego...
14. Re: New Years Eve 2013

I'm also heading to Amsterdam for New Years this year. From what I have read, and in the link you posted at the top of the thread, Amsterdam is like one large party. Are there any restaurants or something that have a bit more low key events that have a view of the fireworks? My husband and I are going but my mother is also coming along and I don't think she wants to be in the middle of a large crowd of people. So, we're looking for something that is still in the city, where we can still see fireworks, but maybe an event for the not so hardcore partiers. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
15. Re: New Years Eve 2013

My advice to you would be to stay out of the city center. The Jordaan area would be my suggestions for a quieter evening. You don't give enough details about food likes, budget or allergies to get any real suggestions. If you supply more info we can help out.

San Diego...
16. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Thanks for your reply! We don't have any food allergies and I always enjoy trying local food while visiting different countries so Dutch food would be ideal. We'd probably like to keep the type of food within Europe (ie, no Asian, Indian, etc but French, Dutch, etc would be fine). If the place had a nice view, "good" food and a nice atmosphere, I'd be willing to try it. As far as budget, since it's New Years Eve, I imagine the anything will be steep but I'd like to keep it under 100 Euros a person if possible. I'm not sure how much events like this cost and if it's a bit over that, that's not a big deal. We will be in town for a few days, so we plan to do some touristy things as well (visit museums, see Anne Frank's house, etc) so I thought that staying in City Center might be the most convenient. However, I'd gladly take any suggestions.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
17. Re: New Years Eve 2013

One of my favorite views in Amsterdam:

http://www.belhamel.nl/

Marple, United...
reviews: 18
18. Re: New Years Eve 2013

We are also looking at Amsterdam for New Years Eve. But we will be traveling with 2 small children. We were planning on going out for dinner then heading back to our hotel and watching fireworks from there. Will we be able to see anything? We would be staying at the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel near the museum district.

Thank you

19. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Hi I am coming over to amsterdam for New Year's Eve with friends. We are all in our 20's and obviously will want to party.. Where is best to go or is there a website with events??

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
20. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Lucychall: www.iamsterdam.com > check again in November or so and see 'what's on'. Most of the parties aren't planned yet at this stage.

The fireworks are crazy, drunk people light their own all over the place. It scares me (and people do end up in hospitals) so I only watch from a safe distance or inside. And I don't travel through the city between midnight and 1am, I stay put.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 10:04 pm, August 21, 2013
Reply to: New Years Eve 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted