We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve 2013

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
reviews: 2
New Years Eve 2013

Hi,

I am planning on meeting a friend for New Year's Eve 2013/2014 in Amsterdam. I know this is early to be planning but I need to book long haul flights in the next month or so.

I am looking for a back up plan in case I end up there on my own. I've read that the centre of the city can be jam packed and this doesn't really appeal, but I do like the idea of seeing all the fireworks.

Any suggestions?

I'd consider going to a different city in The Netherlands.

37 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: New Years Eve 2013

What you read is true, it will be crowded. But what are you asking exactly?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
2. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Congratulations on having our first NYE question of this year :-) As it happens, I only took our standing advice down from Top Questions a few weeks ago.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c147675/Amste…

To be honest I am not quite sure what you are asking. You first need to make a fundamental decision. Center of town or not? Once you have made that, we can help you further.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
3. Re: New Years Eve 2013

I think you are far too early to book flights. If you want to know what its like in town then look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjO7nKsn9bk

Glasgow
reviews: 85
4. Re: New Years Eve 2013

We were in Amsterdam New Year 2011/2012, was great but the fireworks scared the sh*t out of us, they were being let off right next to us in the street! All part of the experience I suppose, & the organised display was nice, it was busy, but not uncomfortably so(no more busy that Glasgow or Edinburgh at New Year in my opinion)we loved it, the atmosphere was amazing and everyone even friendlier on NYE! You won't regret it if you decide to book, but I agree that it's a bit too early to book flights :)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 34
5. Re: New Years Eve 2013

If you feel you need to book your long distance flight, the only airport that's relevant in the Netherlands is Amsterdam anyways. So even if you chose to spend NYE in another city here you would still be needing to fly into Schiphol.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 2
6. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Thanks for the replies. My long haul flights are to London so I take your point that I can book the shorter flights later.

Thanks BrianC - I'd found that link when I did a search - it's very useful and it what got me thinking about not wanting to be jam packed.

I've spent several NYE in Edinburgh Michelle - and the one I enjoyed the most was when I went to the concert in the park and it was less crowded.

I guess I am looking for something fun and safe for a woman on her own to do. From the looks of Ronaldo's youtube link, that will be out of the centre of the town. Unless there's something on the waterways?

Edited: 4:00 pm, March 06, 2013
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
7. Re: New Years Eve 2013

You won't find anything on the waterways in mid-winter. If there is anyone on there they will most likely be drunk and it will be dangerous.

Amsterdam
8. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Not actually on (but overlooking) the waterways, there is a New Year's firework display on the bridge at the end of Bloemgracht, opposite the Anne Frank House. Here: http://goo.gl/fki3O

This lasts for about 30min starting at midnight and can be viewed from the Bloemgracht or from the other side of the Prinsengracht (on the doorstep of the Anne Frank House, more or less).

The numbers attending vary from year to year, but it's always a good show without being crazy busy. We all tumble out of our homes or the pub at midnight, and the party carries on inside when the show stops.

It has more the feel of a neighbourhood event than the gatherings on the main squares, and is in fact privately paid for by a neighbour.

This YouTube film will give you a taste. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4bmJKR-8mE

Hopeman, United...
reviews: 5
9. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Just looking into Amsterdam also for new year 13/14. 2 girls 26 & 33.

Is there any nice restaurants bars you could recommend on the build up midnight?

Was looking at maybe staying at the monastery, would that be central enough to the celebrations?

Also, what about the 1st? Should we book a table or are there plenty eateries? Any suggestions for what to do that evening? Nice cocktail bars ect?

reviews: 1
10. Re: New Years Eve 2013

Hi

I'm looking to go to Amsterdam with my partner this year for New Year's Eve, has anyone for any recommendations on places to go/see and stay? Looking to be there for around 5 nights

Reply to: New Years Eve 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted