We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DirectStay..any opinions?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 31
DirectStay..any opinions?

I am considering booking a very reasonably priced 1 bedroom apartment in the Jordan area of the city via DirectStay and would like to know if any users have booked via this company previously.

I have searched the forum for previous threads but no results were found, i have also done a quick googlemaloogle but drew a blank.

Thanks in advance all.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

Never heard of DirestStay but it looks to be a third party booking agency. Do your self a favor and avoid any potential problems by booking with one of the many reputable agencies we know of. There are some suggestions on the following link. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k50857…

Newcastle upon...
2. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

Many thanks for the reply Balou1999, i am familiar with most of the agency's listed on that thread and would normally have went via amsterdamstay however the properties available on the dates i require for this year i was unable to find an appt suitable with in our price range *shakes fist at god of double dip recession*

I am yet to find anything dubious about the whole process, they are only requesting a down payment of € 96.80 out of a total price of € 441.80(balance to be paid in full on arrival) they have provided me with standard contact details etc, i have done some quick checks and found the company is registered in Amsterdam(Singel 77), Telephone number etc are all legit, not to mention the property being a stones throw from one of my favourite bars in the city Café "De II Prinsen"

I'm probably being overcautious as our once a year pilgrimage is too important to take a gamble and was hoping a fellow TA user had used them in the past, ill mull it over a while longer and run it by her who must be obeyed before making any final decisions .

Again thanks for your always respected opinion.

Newcastle upon...
3. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

This is there TA details

tripadvisor.co.uk/RentalPropertyManager-a_ma…

Waimanalo, Hawaii
reviews: 7
4. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

I have just inquired about three separate rentals on FlipKey, and received responses from DirectStay. In all cases, the rates for the properties in Amsterdam increased by 3/4 times the rates listed on the site. Obviously, I did not book any of them. I do not understand what is going on.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 1
5. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

Happens alot. So just stick to the reputable ones

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k50857…

Amsterdam
6. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

Rigsby: I reckon this is not the time to experiment with unknown apartment rental sites. The city has recently announced a clampdown on illegal short-stay apartment rental. You might want to use Google Translate on this: http://goo.gl/6ZGdd They talk about illegal hotels, but it's all about apartments. A license is required if you want to offer your apartment for short let, and in the centre the number of these licenses is subject to a quota. So there are many (who knows how many?) apartments offered for holiday rental illegally.

There have been a couple of posts recently about people finding that the apartment they booked was not the place they got, or having to move during their stay, or properties listed one day disappearing from a website the next. It's difficult to judge if it's more than the usual flow of bad-luck stories, but in the middle of a clampdown it's not surprising if owners suddenly remove their properties from the market.

I'd be cautious.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 4
7. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

As a datapoint, the number of folks having trouble with apartments has not increased here since the city announced their crack down. In 10 years of reading this forum daily, 2 things:

1. The city always say they are cracking down on illegal apartments.

2. Some folks have trouble with some of the rental agencies. On one reports having any trouble with the good ones. And no one ever, ever has reported that their apartment rental didn't work out because the city closed the apartment.

Renting an apartment continues to be a good option. I don't think one should worry unnecessarily.

Newcastle upon...
8. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

Yeah we decided not to take the gamble, based soley on the fact we could not find any reviews etc.

Thanks for the input everyone.

9. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:34 pm, April 07, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
reviews: 8
10. Re: DirectStay..any opinions?

Hi,

I would like also some more feedback on Directstay.com, as I've change some emails with them, but I really cant find anything with reviews on Internet, and i'm looking to rent a place in Amsterdam.

Cheers

Filipe Rodrigues