We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guayaquil
Transit visa

Hi,I'm a South African holding a South African passport that has a valid Chinese visa. I'm travelling from Guayaquil to Hong Kong transit at Amsterdam for nine hours. Do I need a transit visa at Amsterdam ?

44 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 125
31. Re: Transit visa

Hi there,

Even without permanent UK residency you'd have no problem transiting at Schiphol as long as you stay airside. There's only about 20 countries in the lists linked to above that do require such a visa, mainly due to the risk of their nationals interrupting the flight in Netherlands to apply for asylum.

If you would want to leave the airport I doubt you can do so without the complex Schengen visa procedure, but for now I don't read you plan to do so.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Pretoria, South...
32. Re: Transit visa

Erik, you are an absolute star, thank you so much. I have no plans to exit the Airport, I have a 5-hour layover, giving me just enough time to have a bite to eat, freshen up and catch my connection.

All the best,

Tanya

Dubai, United Arab...
33. Re: Transit visa

hi

Am Pakistani passport holder travel from Dubai to Amsterdam to curacao to port of Spain in the Amsterdam airport only 3 hour stay .Do I need a transit visa at Amsterdam ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 125
34. Re: Transit visa

Yes unfortunately, without this you can't even board the plane to Amsterdam! See

"Nationals of the following countries need an airport transit visa to change aircraft at an airport in a Schengen country:

Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic Of The Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka"

So yes, you as a good-intending traveller suffer due to the apparently too high number of bad-intending Pakistani who abused their transit in a Schengen country airport to apply for asylum...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
35. Re: Transit visa

It's also worth reading the detail of the transit visa requirements in the link provided by Colin56 in post #26 in this thread in case one of the exemptions applies to you. And that link again was: government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherland…

Mr Other

http://mrothers.blogspot.nl/

Edited: 4:39 pm, September 14, 2013
Lahore, Pakistan
36. Re: Transit visa

Hello and thanks for your help in advance,

I am a Pakistani citizen. I hold a visit visa for schengen area and I hold a visit visa for USA. I was visiting Netherlands during summers and that is why i got the schengen visa. My schengen (Multiple entry) visa is valid till October 25, 2013 and I have already returned back to Pakistan.

Now i wish to travel to USA on October 20, 2013 and I will return to Pakistan from USA on November 13.

My flight is: Lahore - Amsterdam - Los Angeles

My KLM flight will have a 19 hr layover at Amsterdam (i know its long !!!)

1) Since I have a valid schengen visa while I am traveling to US (October 20), so I will be able to travel to Amsterdam without the need of an airport transit visa and I will also be able to go outside the schipol airport as I have a schengen visa till 25th Oct. Am I right ??

2) Now on my way back from US (November 13), I will no longer be having a valid schengen visa so i cannot leave the airport. But will I need an airport transit visa while I am going from US back to Pakistan?

I have read this page:

government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherland…

and i feel that i am exempt from transit visa because I am coming back from US. Is it true?

Thanks a lot for your help.

UK
reviews: 24
37. Re: Transit visa

hexa d, I read that page the same way you are reading it. Make sure you print out a copy, though, as check-in staff don't always know/understand the finer details of these rules.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
38. Re: Transit visa

I am a sri lankan. I have to fly to Anguiila through Netherlands. Do I need a transit visa.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
39. Re: Transit visa

Please read post #34.

Brussels
reviews: 9
40. Re: Transit visa

<I am a sri lankan. I have to fly to Anguiila through Netherlands. Do I need a transit visa.>

Yes - unless you are in one of the exempt categories listed on this website:

government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherland…

Scroll down to the section "Airport transit visas". As a Sri Lankan you need an airport transit visa unless your situation is as described in one of the 6 listed "exempt" categories.

Reply to: Transit visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted