We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guayaquil
Transit visa

Hi,I'm a South African holding a South African passport that has a valid Chinese visa. I'm travelling from Guayaquil to Hong Kong transit at Amsterdam for nine hours. Do I need a transit visa at Amsterdam ?

47 replies to this topic
Brussels
reviews: 9
21. Re: Transit visa

< i am an indian living in UK....il b leaving to india from Cardiff-amsterdam-mumbai....i have 14 hrs layover in amsterdam...can i get out of the airport with the transit visa....? >

If you are an Indian national (Indian passport-holder) you do not need an airport transit visa to change planes at Amsterdam.

But if you want to leave the airport, you will need a Schengen visa government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherland…

UK
reviews: 24
22. Re: Transit visa

Check Timatic for authoritative information. There is a free link into the Timatic system here

staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

According to this the only situation in which an Indian citizen can enter the Netherland without a visa is if they hold an EAA family member permit and are travelling with their family member or travelling to join their family member

So no, you won't be able to leave the airport.

Edited: 1:03 pm, June 14, 2013
Cape Town, Western...
23. Re: Transit visa

Hi

I'm also South African, got a 18 hour layover in Amsterday. If I wanted to leave the airport, would it be possible to get an transit visa in the airport. I have no time to arrange one before I arrive

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 129
24. Re: Transit visa

Nope, Netherlands does not have any type of (transit or other) visa on arrival.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Managua, Nicaragua
25. Re: Transit visa

Hello friends, I am a Nepal Citizzen with a valid Nepalese Passport, my final destination is Nicaragua (Central America) and my intinerary flight is:

Nepal - New Delhi

New Delhi - Ámsterdam

Ámsterdam - Panama City

Panama City - Managua, Nicaragua

The question is............ Do I need a transit Visa in New Delhi and Ámsterdam???????? IT IS REALLY URGENT, PLEASE AWNSER ASAP!!!

REGARDS.

Brussels
reviews: 9
26. Re: Transit visa

< I am a Nepal Citizen with a valid Nepalese Passport ... Do I need a transit Visa in New Delhi and Amsterdam? >

For Amsterdam, it seems that you do need an airport transit visa to change planes within the international transit area.

government.nl/issues/visa-for-the-netherland…

Scroll down to the section "Airport transit visas" and see the second list of countries starting "Angola, ... ".

Read also the section "The following persons are exempted ... " in case it covers your situation.

I don't know anything about New Delhi.

Ask the airline(s) you are travelling with to check the visa requirements for you.

Katy, Texas
27. Re: Transit visa

I just finished my trip and would like to give an update. I flew sin-Amsterdam-Houston. My Transit @amsterdam was easy and smooth. I arrived and boarded my next flight in the same terminal, actually same gate area. I had to checked in my Ams to Houston flight as the carrier was different. Easy enough. Just walked to the transfer desk in the middle of the terminal. It took less than 5 minutes for the process as they already had my data. They did ask to see my US resident card.

Make sure you have plenty of time for the gate or plane check in. During the security screening in the gate, there was one on one interview. So, the line was quite long and slow.

I had about 2.5 hours layover and I enjoyed the airport. It's a beautiful airport.

Gadsden, Alabama
28. Re: Transit visa

Hi there,

I also have a questions if you could please help me figure out. I have friends in Amsterdam - my husband and I (he is US ctizen and I am a South African citizen) We have a 9 hour layover in AMS and I'm am hoping we'll be able to see my friends. They are willing to travel to the airport, but I'm not sure how we can make even that work. Would we be able to leave International Departures at all, to see them? Is there a short term visa? Like a 24 hour visa?

Edited: 11:57 am, September 11, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 129
29. Re: Transit visa

Hi there,

US Citizen no problem. SA citizen unfortunately a problem, you need a full Schengen visa in order to leave airside zone of airport. Hence probably only feasible way is if friends buy the cheapest possible one-way ticket on e.g. Easyjet in order to get a boarding pass and enter airside, and after that not use that ticket but meet you and afterwards go to Arrivals...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 2
30. Re: Transit visa

Hi,

Am reading conflicting information regards Transit Visa requirements. I am a S African passport holder with permanent residency for the UK, returning to the UK from Johannesburg via Amsterdam. Is a Transit Visa required? I am flying KLM all the way, so no change in carrier.

Many thanks

Reply to: Transit visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted