We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
reviews: 1
Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

I'm getting ready to book my train trip from Amsterdam to Bruges. I'll probably be getting a Thalys train to Antwerp and using an Any Belgium Station addition. However, when I input my date and time selection, it shows only a 5 minute gap between the time the train from Amsterdan arrives at Antwerp and the train to Bruges leaves Antwerp. Am I correct in thinking that I can take any later train to Bruges without penalty? Five minutes doesn't seem to be enough time.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 33
1. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Correct!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
2. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Yes. If the Bruges-bound train leaves from platforms 11+, 5 mins is okay as these platforms (11-14 on level -1 and 21-24 on level -2 where the Thalys arrives) are closeby. If it leaves from platforms 1-10, indeed not much chance of catching it and better to plan the next one.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Southern California
3. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Thank you for your advice.The SNCB website doesn't seem to give me a choice for the Antwerp to Bruges part of the trip. I can select from multiple departure timesfor the Thalys from Amsterdam, but I am only given one choice for Antwerp to Bruges. I'd feel better if I were given more options for that second leg, but I will trust my TripAdvisor gurus that I can use my ABS ticket later in the day.

Brussels
reviews: 9
4. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

< SNCB website doesn't seem to give me a choice for the Antwerp to Bruges part of the trip ... I'd feel better if I were given more options for that second leg >

The online journey planner (a computer program) simply suggests the first connection which it thinks is feasible. It is designed to offer the quickest option for the journey you want.

< I will trust my TripAdvisor gurus that I can use my ABS ticket later in the day. >

You can indeed use the ABS part of your ticket later in the day. I think you have to use it within 24 hours of arriving on the Thalys (somewhere on the Thalys website, the time limit is stated).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
5. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

There are no reservations on Belgian trains so you could even spend the day in Antwerpen and still catch any train to Brugge without penalty.

Edited: 4:57 pm, January 02, 2013
Southern California
6. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Thank you all so much for your help. I may spend a little time in Antwerp or at least view the station without feeling so rushed!

Southern California
7. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Since you are experience travelers, can you tell me if the new Fyra service has any advantages or disadvantages compares to the Thalys trains if one if traveling from Amsterdam to Antwerp? I have a choice of the two. ( I posted this question earlier on the Train Travel forum but haven't yet received an answer..)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
8. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

Well experiences with delays and failures are bad, but of course it _should_ all be just teething pains. So the general advice is 'do whichever fits you best in terms of schedule and price'...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Re: Amsterdam to Bruges by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, January 06, 2014