We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas dinner recommendations

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Christmas dinner recommendations

Me and the Mrs are taking a trip to Amsterdam for christmas this year and we will be staying in the Estherea Hotel. We are looking to book a restaurant nearby (or a short drive/tram stop away) for a meal on christmas day. Ideally we would like somewhere really special with a warm atmosphere that serves up excellent food, somewhere with character or somewhere very stylish or both!!

Can anyone recommend somewhere decent? Ive seen there's the Amrath grand hotel that has a Christmas menu, but this doesn't appear to be online yet?

Also, are any trams running on the 25th at all?

Any suggestions welcome.

13 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Have a look at this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k59318…

What type of food do you like? Budget?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
2. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Time to resurect Carlits Christmas dinner post again

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k23747…

Public transport runs a sunday service on Xmas day so yes plenty of trams etc.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
3. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

yes, read the most famous amsterdam post of all time linked above

stuart was at his all time best

Edited: 8:39 am, December 03, 2012
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

I don't know exactly what they are about at Christmas but one of the better hotels in town is L'Europe. They recently revamped their dining room http://www.leurope.nl/bord-eau so you could take a look at that.

Do you have any idea of the type of food you want? Most places will just serve a more oppulent version of their normal menu.

Aylesbury, United...
reviews: 37
5. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

I've booked 'Fifteen' which is near the ferry terminal (about a 15-20 minute walk from Central Station). It's probably not going offer what you are looking for but here is the website in case you want to take a look: http://www.fifteen.nl/en.html

It's 39.50euro for 3 courses or 46.00euro for 4 courses. There are open from 5.30 pm.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
6. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Very close to the Esterea is Brasserie Luden which has good reviews and looks like they are open for Christmas dinner.

Southampton, United...
reviews: 24
7. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Keizersgracht 238 is a grill restaurant thats open on xmas day and serves a xmas menu and its close to Hotel Estherea. Have a look at their website.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Sincerely hope you enjoy 15 but been there three times and now won't go back. Let us know how you get on though.

Southampton, United...
9. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Thanks everyone this is a great start! Unlike the previous feed that was mentioned before, I'm simply looking for somewhere that does great food. Pretentious or not doesn't bother me and don't mind paying a premium if the foods good.

@Idyc I see you mentioned the grill place? That looks really good.

I see that envy looks pretty good too, i like the micro gastronomy element!

Can anyone confirm of this is a good bet? We asked for a Xmas menu but still awaiting this...

Thanks for the heads up on the Sunday tram service. Would be nice to check out some great bars/pubs/coffee shops on the day too. Is there anywhere people can recommend visiting on the day as a "must do" event? Seeing as a lot of places seem to be closed, it would be nice to venture out in the day and have places to drink and celebrate the day.

All suggestions welcome!

Southampton, United...
10. Re: Christmas dinner recommendations

Thanks everyone this is a great start! Unlike the previous feed that was mentioned before, I'm simply looking for somewhere that does great food. Pretentious or not doesn't bother me and don't mind paying a premium if the foods good.

@Idyc I see you mentioned the grill place? That looks really good.

@ronaldoc that leurope I think is perfect! The menu sounds very interesting and id be happy to go, but the mrs is saying its too expensive :( shame as it looks great!!!

I see that envy looks pretty good too, i like the micro gastronomy element!

Can anyone confirm of this is a good bet? We asked for a Xmas menu but still awaiting this...

Thanks for the heads up on the Sunday tram service also. Ideally we would like to venture around and have a nice slow paced day to check out some great bars/pubs/coffee shops on the day. Is there anywhere people can recommend visiting on the day as a "must do" event?

Seeing as a lot of places seem to be closed, it would be nice to venture out in the day and have places to drink and celebrate the day.

All suggestions welcome!

Edited: 7:58 pm, December 04, 2012
Reply to: Christmas dinner recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted