We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accessible

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
jacksonville
reviews: 14
accessible

I am in the very beginning stages of planning a vacation to Amsterdam/Netherlands. Although I am not wheelchair bound, I do have mobility issues which make travel by bike and walking not possible. My question is how accessible is the city center and main tourist areas/museums by regular taxi cab (not bike taxi)? I realize that taxi are expensive and often not the fastest mode of transportation. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of walking to most places. I can walk about 50 meters at a time. I have seen that the canal bus appears to reach most tourist areas and this may be a good choice for me in combination with taxis. In Amsterdam, can you hail a taxi on the street or must you call ahead to reserve one and have it dispatched to your location? Thanks for your help

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
1. Re: accessible

You will be fine using taxis in most places except the very oldest part of town which includes the Red Light District and Chinatown.

In general here taxis are picked up at ranks or booked by phone rather than just hailed although you can do that. They don't however generally cruise the streets looking for fares.

To be honest I am not sure that the canal bus would add much to your experience.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
2. Re: accessible

What ever you do you need to book a hotel with a lift. No matter how easy they claim those stairs are in a hotel without a lift.

And that means a 3-5 star hotel.

You could certainly take a look at our Priceline bidding threads if you are on a budget but have 4 or 5 star hotel tastes.

jacksonville
3. Re: accessible

Thank you both for your replies. I have not looked at hotels as of yet, but I always e-mail them directly to ask about the accessibility/stairs/lift.

jacksonville
4. Re: accessible

Brianc- "To be honest I am not sure that the canal bus would add much to your experience."

Why do you say this? I am just going on the map I saw online and it looked like the canal bus stopped at all of the major attractions/museums. However, maps are not always to scale. Do you think the canal bus would not be a helpful mode of transportation in addition to taxis ?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
5. Re: accessible

The reason I think it may be an issue is that you often have to walk quite a bit further to get to an attraction from the Canal Bus stop than from a tram or if you were on a taxi. I don't know precisely where all the CB stops are but the one for the museums for an example is quite a walk from the entrance to the Rijksmuseum.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
6. Re: accessible

Would you consider renting a mobility scooter?

I have to agree with Brian about the canal bus. If you have mobility issues then they are not the easiest way to get around and often there are stairs to climb up and down to get on and off.

jacksonville
7. Re: accessible

thank you both for the detailed information. I will continue my research. happy holidays

liverpool, england
reviews: 137
8. Re: accessible

Hello Paris,

I too am a wheelchair user and in 2 weeks will take my 15th trip to Amsterdam; It is very easy to get around using taxi - I always use 020 777 7777 and have found them very helpful with the wheelchair. Trams do have low floors, but are often too full to actually get on and in the designated places, so we usually use taxi or, mainly I get pushed by hubby - its a very compact city, so we usually have no problems. Last trip we visited zaanse schans to see the windmills and went by bus, that was easy accessed - drop floor with ramp - and again helpful driver and we usually find that the Durch people are very helpful in aiding access, holding doors, offering to lift up steps etc.,

I agree with Brian, the canal bus may be a problem, I cant access it, there are steep and awkward steps to get on/off. I do however always recommend a canal boat trip, and blue boat company offer totally accessible boat trips, whilst Tui have a lift down to the dock, leaving just a few steps and about 10 yards at most, to walk to get on the boat. Greyline also have close access piers with just a few steps to get onto the boat - all are much easier that the canal bus.

Mr John is also spot on about a hotel with a lift - the stairs can be very steep and narrow even for people without additional mobility problems. Make sure that you enquire about accessibility before you book.

Toilets can be a problem if you need accessible ones whilst you are out, as most cafes etc are up or downstairs; I recommend De Bijenkorf, and V&D department stores, C& A also has one next to the cafe - but is a little awkward to gain access as their is a turnstile that needs assistance with and the staff at the cafe usually moan (but its there if needed!) also replay cafe in Kalvertoren shopping centre (go to blue cafe on 3rd floor - lift access for the view, then drink an use loo at Replay). Another good one is at Amsterdam Historic Museum is also good, and usefully positioned too.

Hope you have a great trip - and if you want to ask anything more - just ask!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 12
9. Re: accessible

We will arrive in Amsterdam Aug 11- leave on a Baltic cruise Aug 15. Staying at Renaissance Amsterdam through the cruise line.

I am researching museums and transportation. Looks like the Blue Boat is the best option for a canal tour.

We will be purchasing the Holland Amsterdam Card. However, I am puzzled about the different messages about entry to museums. Is there any way to schedule an entry time through the card? Does having a scheduled entry require ordering the tickets on line directly from the museum. Standing in line for long periods of time is not an option for so short a trip.

Anyone have recent experience with this?

wheelchairtravel99

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 48
10. Re: accessible

Wheelchair accessible hotels: http://www.amsterdam.info/hotels/wheelchair/

Info for disabled travellers in Amsterdam: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…disabled-travellers

Easily accessible cinemas, restaurants, and other buildings: toegankelijkamsterdam.nl/toegankelijk/…

Experiences: accessibletravelnl.com/travelexperiences/Vis…

More experiences: globalaccessnews.com/amsterdam07edwards.htm

Googling this subject also gives you many more links and useful info.

Enjoy our city,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm