We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
reviews: 5
Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

One of the postings here says they have started up again and there is something on their website indicating 3 p.m. canal boat trips. Does anyone know for sure if they are really operating a small canal boat every day? thanks so much.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

i thought i ws still being done out of mikes bikes

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

One can buy tickets for the boat tour on Boom Chicago's website but only thru till Aug 31 so I don't know if that means they end then. One can not click thru to September. See http://www.boomchicago.nl/Buy_your_Tickets/ ... scroll down and click on "Boat like a local"

The box office opens in 45 minutes so I'll give a call and sus it out

Edited: 6:14 am, August 26, 2012
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

The boat tour is operating. Weekdays usually at 3 pm and weekends at 7 pm. Tickets can be bought online or reserved by phone. The online module is at moment only to end August but September should be activated soon. They plan to run the tours thru end of September.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

wow, you have to buy tickets now, i like it when a donation was good

los angeles
reviews: 5
5. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

does anyone know if they sell out? i would prefer to buy tickets that day.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 58
6. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

Awesome news thanks for sharing.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 58
7. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

Thanks for sharing. Awesome news.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
8. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

FYI it is not St. Nicolaas Boat Tour but Boom's own boat. SN moved the sign up to Mike's Bikes several months ago but are still not running tours as far as I know.

reviews: 1
9. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

Hey guys, I can clear this up:

St. Nicolaas Boat Club was unfortunately forced to stop operating earlier this year due to long-standing legal issues (read about it at www.amsterdamboatclub.com), a bummer for everyone.

Peter Moskos, the founder of St. Nicolaas Boat Club is brother to Andrew Moskos, one of the owner/founders of Boom Chicago. He bought the first St. Nicolaas boat (Athena) from Boom Chicago after spending a year piloting it as the Boom Boat. As a free standing non-profit organisation, the boat's popularity grew, and its independent status helped for years with their legal issues.

Boom has always been a huge supporter of the boat club and a vocal critic of the traditional (boring) four languages canal tours the big operators ran in Amsterdam for years. While St. Nick sorts out their legal issues, we've found a new (legal) boat to continue their spirit of smaller, more personal boat rides. We now use some St. Nicolaas captains along with some new ones.

Our new boat is a bit bigger, but still small enough to go through the nicest canals. Plus you can still bring whatever you want to eat, drink and smoke (wink, wink). It's open air, but there is a roof that can be put up in case of really Dutch weather. Plus there are cold drinks available for purchase on board.

We run one boat per day, or two on really nice days. They leave (for the most part) at 15:00 daily, but absolutely check the schedule on www.boomchicago.nl. Cost is EUR 15 for 75 minutes on the water.

Yes, now that the boats are legal in the eyes of the powers that be, you can buy tickets online or at the box office. No more having to sign up in person or running the risk of somebody scratching your name off the list. We also have a phone number so you can call us.

As for how far into autumn we'll be operating, really as long as their are people that want to go, we're happy to show them around.

Hopefully this answers any questions or concerns you might have, but don't hesitate to contact us if not!

Best,

Boom Chicago

p.s. The boat sells out frequently to regularly, depending on the weather. A day in advance should be enough, and there are usually a few seats left in the morning, but they go fast.

Edited: 6:02 am, September 01, 2012
New York City, New...
10. Re: Boom Chicago Canal Boat - started up again?

it suck that the "powers" hav eto control the waterways

hope all the issues get ironed out

peace Mattty