We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mediterranean
reviews: 27
A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

For someone who needs to spend 2-3 hours tomorrow morning working with his laptop in central Amsterdam - what cafe would you recommend?

Excellent free Wifi connection is a must, good coffee necessary, nice apple cake and/or sandwich - a big plus.

I couldn't quite figure out if the WiFi at the central library is free for the first 3 hours for non-members (it did say it was free for all on one website, but on the library website it seems it isn't).

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

im not sure where you are staying..but i would recommend bagels & beans..the 2 i know off top of my head are on raadhuisstraat between singel and herengracht...and on corner of keizergracht and leidsestraat, next to the smart shop...great coffee..sandwiches, and of course bagels..and free wi-fi

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
2. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

How about a Bagels&Beans,there is one on Waterlooplein behind the Rembrandthouse,with a terrace if the sun is out.

Ron of course will probably suggest a Starbucks as he likes them so much;-)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
3. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

To use wifi at public library you now have to be a member. But on the top floor in the cafe restaurant its free on the KPN network. McDonalds has in my experience one of the fastest free wifi networks in town. Also Cafe de Jaren has decent wifi and every Coffee Company for one hour per purchase. But they will usually give you another hour and again if you ask.

mediterranean
4. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

Thanks for the recommendations! They will be put to good use!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

I actually recommend that you go into Starsucks and sit there for hours on end an buy only one of the cheapest coffee they have on offer. Then use their w-fi for as long as you like.

I like the idea of reverse expoitation LOL.

For the best views take Lenny's advice about the public cafe at the top of the Library. Easy to get to from the ferry (I think you are staying in Amsterdam North, right?)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
6. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

RonaldoC: nice to see your crusade against the American bean giant is still going strong :).... Keep it up!

mediterranean
7. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

Starbucks WiFi is limited to 2 hours if I remember correctly from last september when I used it.

And yes, you remeber correctly - north Amsterdam it is (-:

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

I would recommend against Bagels and Beans if you want to have a workspace. I've had a few experiences where they asked me to leave. Once after two hours or working because I had only purchased one cup of coffee... another time after three for the same reason. Keep in mind you're dealing with the Dutch here.

Edited: 6:00 am, July 06, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
9. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

Hmm.. If you sat in my cafe using my wi-fi, taking up a table and only bought one cup of coffee I would ask you to leave too. They are running a business not a doss house for freeloaders.

Anyway thaks for joining TA today just to revive a year old post

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
10. Re: A nice Cafe to work in with free WiFi?

As said above: Coffee Company. Plus point: many power outlets (underneath the tables too usually); many other people working (so they're used to it); you can take free water with the coffee. Downside: no table service so you need to keep an eye on your valuables while you order at the counter; steep prices for coffee.

There is a Coffee Company as well as a Bagels & Beans on Haarlemmerstraat / Haarlemmerdijk.

I like the Coffee Company on Staalstraat, I mean the soft seats in the little round room behind he counter, with historical windows and looking onto a nice draw-bridge.

Alternatively, go to EYE film institute's funky spacious restaurant with great views. Take the 5 minute free ferry to Buiksloterweg from behind Central Station.

Or sit in mellow De Balie on Leidseplein. Table service, normal prices, free wifi, nice seating.

And I agree, cheapskates can be expected to be thrown out. You can't expect to use seat, electricity, wifi etc for almost free. It's just rude. Although 3 cups of coffee seems fine to me, but 1 in multiple hours......

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:07 am, July 06, 2013