We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Sim Card

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
Prepaid Sim Card

Hello,

I will be traveling to Amsterdam in a weeks time. I was wondering if there are stores in the Airport where I can buy prepaid sim cards. I would like to call my friends to let them know about my whereabouts. I will be taking a train to Dodrecht from the airport train station. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

typed "prepaid sim card" into search box...and voila!!..got hits

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=58&geo=188553&q=prepaid+sim+card&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0&sub-search=Click+to+search+forums&returnTo=__2F__

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 39
2. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

They sell the card on the airport. Vodafone is a recommended carrier for Holland.

San Francisco...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

If you're doing strictly voice, Lebara is another good option - they're cheaper than Vodafone.

As far as buying a sim; there are numerous kiosks within the arrivals halls at Schiphol that sell them.

Edited: 9:53 pm, July 08, 2012
Amsterdam
reviews: 2
4. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

Hello!!

Not starting a new thread for SIM cards. I am coming to Amsterdam for a stay of three months, I am from India. I would like to have some information regarding pre-paid SIM cards, especially which ones will be ideal for more data rather than calls. I'd be relying on whatsapp for messaging and VOIP apps like Viber for making calls with my family back in India (Hopefully a data plan would work out much cheaper than making calls)

And about purchasing a new connection right at the airport, How easy is the process? What all documents are needed? (Only passport, I guess?)

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 4:45 am, April 30, 2013
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
5. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

No documents needed at all.

scotland
reviews: 117
6. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

I use Lebara which I find the best option ,enjoy Dodrecht

Amsterdam
reviews: 2
7. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

Thanks folks, how is the data charges for Lebara?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
8. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

Check their website.

Amsterdam
9. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

Prepaid SIM cards are available at the Airport Telecom Shop in the Arrival Hall of Amsterdam Airport. The shop offers prepaid SIM cards for the Netherlands, as well as prepaid SIM cards for people that will travel around in Europe. With both types of cards, receiving calls is free in either the Netherlands or in Europe. More information can be found at www.airporttelecom.nl

Regards!

Edited: 3:41 pm, September 03, 2013
Oz
reviews: 19
10. Re: Prepaid Sim Card

Is there a Vodafone kiosk within Schiphol or is airporttelecom shop it? I ask because airporttelcom shop wants €25 for the card with only €7.50 on it.

Is the Albert Heijn to go an alternative for the best value inside Schiphol? Or, is it simply a fact that in order to secure the least expensive Vodafone or Lebara prepaid sim, one has to get into Amsterdam proper?

I ask because I only really want voice and texting; data is not critical. The ability to make calls and text within Nederland is my objective. My unlocked phone is 3g equipped but I just don't use data hardly if ever as I'm spoiled by very fast connections. In fact, I don't use a smart phone at all in the USA....don't carry any sort of cell phone. Hate the things. But, I do use them when traveling. Going on an extreme budget; thought I had this figured out; but now I'm thoroughly confused. I won't be needing to make any calls while at Schiphol; or on the train while riding into Centraal Station. However, it most certainly would be nice to be able to begin making calls once at Centraal Station to facilitate calling my ride contact.

Any solid locations with Schiphol?? Thanks!