We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DERBY, England
reviews: 40
is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know if the tap water is safe to drink or do i need bottled water?

Thanks

79 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Hi Bella,

100%. Qualitywise it's better than bottled water (which is often obtained from the same source ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

If it isn't I'd be dead by now

DERBY, England
3. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Cheers x

Chicago
reviews: 13
4. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Are people really serious when they post these questions, or do they want to start a snarky thread? Questioning water safety in major European city...I don't get it.

S

Zeeuws Vlaanderen
reviews: 5
5. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

You can use this tap at Leidseplein to refill your bottles for free. …blogspot.com/2012/02/my-first-time-in-snow-…

No need to waste money on bottled water.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
6. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

@Suewynn I used to get annoyed by these type of questions but it is just the ignorance of the poster (and I don't mean that in an offensive way to the OP) about "foriegn" countries even though the Dutch have been masters at water control, sanitation and purification for centuries.

Some people think that anywhere outside of their own country can't possibly have clean water or are just a little paranoid about it. It's not the first time it has been asked on here & I am sure that the same question gets asked about NYC, Chicago and Sydney.

Don't drink the canal water though :-)

London, UK
7. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

I must admit, I do find it a little surprising that people would not know if the water is drinkable in a major Northern European city. I can understand, to a certain extent, those in North America being ignorant to the amenities of life in Europe but really, those in the UK should know better. The Netherlands is one of our nearest neighbours and Amsterdam is only just over 200 miles away from London, about the same distance as York.

Brussels
reviews: 9
8. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

< Are people really serious when they post these questions, ... Questioning water safety in major European city...I don't get it. >

It depends where the questioner comes from. Someone from a country where tap water is not reliably safe to drink may genuinely not know.

A Chinese friend of mine who accompanied me to the UK asked me if tap water there was safe to drink. Of course it is - but in China it isn't. Given that the consequences of drinking polluted water may be serious illness, the question is not as strange as it sounds.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
9. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Stop dont DRINK the water!!!!

you will grow another head

DERBY, England
10. Re: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?

Just to clarify, i suffer from a serious disorder of my digestive system and my continence nurse suggested i get the drinking water issue clarified to avoid any potential ill health.

Reply to: is the tap water safe to drink in amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted