We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a drive for a day

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Taking a drive for a day

Hi all,

My apologies if this has already been thoroughly discussed. I'll be in Amsterdam for 5 days next month with a buddy of mine. We'll definitely check out all the city has to offer, but I was kicking around the idea of renting a car for a day and cruising around outside the city. I guess my question is, is it worth it? Are there enough towns/destinations to make it worthwhile? Or is it better to hop on a train and see Harlem, for instance? Basically, we're going to relax - and if a car becomes too much trouble, we'll skip it!

Level Contributor
440 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Taking a drive for a day

Most daytrips you can do just as well by train. There are two interesting little trips that really require a car:

1. The "deltawerken" the incredible system of moving levees that the Dutch have built in the delta of the Rhine to keep stormfloods out. It's really impressive. It's a couple of hours by car to get there.

2. Just north of Amsterdam, the fishermen villages in the polders: Volendam, Monnickendam, EDam etc.. It's a sweet ride over the old dikes and the little towns are very picturesque (and DO try the fresh herring).