We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nieumarket Area > Cool or Scary?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Nieumarket Area > Cool or Scary?

Hello, Some mates and I are staying in an apartment off of Monnikinstraat near the red light district and Nieumarket in April, the name of the place if The Monk Apartments. I've been to AMS before, but stayed around Leidesplein, which was nice. Has anyone stayed around Nieumarket or The Monk Apts? If so, please let me know what it's all about. Thanks!

Highland Heights...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Nieumarket Area > Cool or Scary?

We are staying in the Nieumarket area at the Amsterdam Escape in April w/ our children. I read reviews, posted concerns on this forum,spoke w/hotel staff and locals, all who assured me it was safe and beautiful.( remember I'm bringing my kids!) It is near the RLD, but it can be avoided. Go to the Amsterdam Escape hotel reviews which may help in responding to your concerns. Enjoy your trip.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 14
2. Re: Nieumarket Area > Cool or Scary?

the area is fine , much less touristy than Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein.

California
reviews: 1
3. Re: Nieumarket Area > Cool or Scary?

There's actually red light cabins on the first block of Monnikenstraat although not actually on the block where your apartments are. You might ask for a back unit if late night noise might bother you. I'd call it a good area with lots of restaurants and bars nearby.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
4. Re: Nieumarket Area > Cool or Scary?

I live a couple of hundred yards from the Nieuwmarkt, it is fine . It is full with bars and restaurants and gets very busy at weekends but the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. I'm sureyou will have fun