We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amstel Station to Schipol

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 16
Amstel Station to Schipol

Dear one and all

Just a quick question, I read that there is a bus service that goes from the train station to Schipol from Amstel train station.

Could I know how often does the bus comes, and how much the fare is and how long does it take to get to the airport?

Other than the bus would there be another cheaper option to get to Schipol? I'm travelling with another so taxi is out of the question I guess as it's just no cost effective...

Leiden, The...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

I have not been able to find a direct bus, only a combination of bus + metro. Check this website: http://www.9292ov.nl

I would just take the train, which is not that expensive at 3,40 euros for a single ticket (takes about 23-29 minutes). The bus + metro combination is slightly cheaper, costing 2,66 euros, but takes more time (about 38-42 minutes).

Princeton, NJ
reviews: 1
2. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Why not take the train to Schiphol via Centraal Sta.?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
3. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Is quite timeconsuming. IF you want train only, take first slow train to Duivendrecht (3 mins) and from there to Schiphol (15 mins). First train 2 x per hour only (4 x per hour during rush), 2nd is 6-8 x per hour.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kuala Lumpur
4. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Hi all,

I am actually travelling on the EUROLINE bus from Brussels and Amstel station is where they stop. So I just wanted a quick way to get to Schipol without transfers if possible.

Looks like the most efficient way would be to take the tram to Central Station and then the train to Schipol.

thanks for the replies!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

>>Looks like the most efficient way would be to take the tram to Central Station and then the train to Schipol.<<

No if you read the above posts the best and most efficient way is by train to Duivendrecht and then to Schiphol.

Also means that you only have to buy one ticket. Via bus and tram/ metro train you would need two tickets so also more expensive

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
6. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Actually what I meant was if you took a tram or bus or metro then train you would need two tickets

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
7. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Yes, of course agree. Price is 3.40 euro for a single; which, logically, is cheaper than Central to Schiphol alone.

Interesting enough, if your timing is unfavourable (e.g. arriving at Amstel just after the :25 or :55 that the all-day Duivendrecht train goes) for the same price you are allowed to travel through Centraal Station, with a train from the other Amstel platform. NS guideline is 'price is for shortest route but always allowed to travel through fastest way at any given time'. Net travel time through that route is 30-35 mins whilst through Duivendrecht route it's 20-25 mins.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 3:31 am, June 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
8. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Thanks Ronaldo and ErikdR for the clarification.

Taking the train to Duivendrecht and onward to Schipol could take more time so I guess I would need to arrive a little bit earlier to give myself some buffer. Hope I can catch the train in time... the alternative option sound too confusing! lol

Also, the reason I need only one ticket is because the ticket from Amstel to Duivendrecht is valid up to one hour for onward journeys right?

thanks!

Edited: 5:51 am, June 20, 2011
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
9. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

Hi again,

Well simply buy the 3.40 euro NS ticket (Amsterdam Amstel - Schiphol). If you're close enough to :25 or :55 after the hour catch the Rotterdam local train at the west platform. Total travel time, as mentioned, around 20-25 mins; in 3 mins you're at Duivendrecht, go one level down there and catch one of the 6-8 trains to Schiphol that pass by every hour taking 15 mins. No issue at all about one hour validity, that's for GVB local transport tickets.

If you're not close enough to :25 or :55 (e.g. if you arrive in station tunnel at :26), with same ticket go to EAST platform which has 6 trains per hour to Amsterdam Centraal. There catch any train to Schiphol. Total net travel time is 30-35 mins _but_ you save yourself 29 minutes waiting for that next local train on the west platform.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

10. Re: Amstel Station to Schipol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, October 02, 2012