We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving distance and time

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, AK
Driving distance and time

I would like to know how long it takes to drive from Schiphol to Bastogne and Luxembourg City on a weekday. How is traffic and what is the current gas/petro price in Euros? Thanks

Anchorage, AK
11. Re: Driving distance and time

Dutchgirl, thank you for the advice on going north! If you don't mind could you help me with some details on the route I should take to go to Gronigen and maybe how I could go a different route back to Amsterdam?

Anchorage, AK
12. Re: Driving distance and time

Thank you also Marcel for the fuel prices, that is very useful information!!

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 6
13. Re: Driving distance and time

Hi there.

The nice thing about this, is there is the lake (ijsselmeer) in the middle. You can therefore go around it either way, like posted above, through the so called Afsluitdijk but you can also do it the other way round, from Amsterdam, through highway A1 direction Amsersfoort, connecting to Highway A28 to Groningen and Leeuwarden. Along the way, you will make your way through Veluwe, which is a forrest nationalparc, don t expect it to be like Alaska though, we have allmost no unspoiled nature anymore, but it is a nice environment, sometimes you meet a deer along the forrest walkings. Little further north, you will pass through Drenthe, a province, known as a nice environment too, woods, nature, and agricultural.

And, you can of course do it the other way round as well ;-)))

making a round circle, taking outbound through Afsluitdijk, into Leeuwarden and Groningen, then via A28 to Drenthe, direction Zwolle into Amersfoort, taking highway A1 through Veluwe to Amsterdam again. Side trips of course possible along the way, you won't have the time to see it all, but you'll have fun along the way making stops and maybe a night over somewhere.

Regards

Marcel

Anchorage, AK
14. Re: Driving distance and time

Awesome! Thank you Marcel, this is invaluable information. Do you think I could do this in one day or too much? It is hard to judge the distance looking at a map.

Hoofddorp, The...
15. Re: Driving distance and time

It is doable in one day, but you will miss the sightseeing. Than the advise would be not to go too far, and enjoy the scenery not too far away, like max 100 kms or so.

This might bring you from Amsterdam to Enkhuizen for instance. You could visit Zuiderzeemuseum located there. http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl

Furthermore, you can visit the area around Friesland, Leeuwarden, Sneek, the lakes down there are nice area to see and look around.

Personally, I like Drenthe very much, I have a summer caravan down there from March until October to spend the weekends and summer holidays, and get away from the too busy area around Amsterdam and the Schiphol airport what I consider home lately. You can make long bike tourings there, safe, tranquil and with a great natural and agricultural surroundings to visit. I don;t know how long you have, but is is definately not advisable to do the above routing in 1 day. You will be driving highway too much and will pass nice environments without finding out whats off the highway.

As for distances: From Amsterdam through Afsluitdijk to Leeuwarden is approximately 140 kms. From Leeuwarden to Groningen about 50, and from Groningen, through Assen, Zwolle, Amersfoort, back to Amsterdam another 175 kms

For you guys probably small sectors, for us too much for 1 day en enjoy it at the same time, also due to heavy trafficjams we have here in the Area around Amsterdam, and the sectors between Amsterdam and Amersfoort as indicated above.

If you require more info, give me a message....

Regards

Marcel

Hoofddorp, The...
16. Re: Driving distance and time

And by the way, in URL below you will find a good routeplanning system for Netherlands, and Europe. It is in dutch though, sorry...

…tensingsks.com/tms/…zoek_route.html

Anchorage, AK
17. Re: Driving distance and time

Thank you Marcel. I will get out my Michelin map of the Netherlands and study it. I appreciate all your help!

Paris
18. Re: Driving distance and time

Viamichelin.com is a great site for planning your European road trips... particularly when you are not concerned with the scenic route.