We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Skills In Holland

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawaii
reviews: 3
Road Skills In Holland

I see that there are rental cars offered in Amsterdam. I am licenced to drive in the US, but am uncertain about roads and driving conditions in Holland.

Are foreigners allowed to drive even if they can't read traffic signs written in Dutch?

I'ld hate to visit and end up becoming a traffic hazard.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Road Skills In Holland

Hi there,

As long as you have an international driving license you are free to use the roads. Conditions generally are at least as good as in USA, traffic signs don't differ very much (mostly symbols anyhow). So nothing really tp stimulate you being a hazard...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hawaii
2. Re: Road Skills In Holland

I've never heard of an "International" Drivers License.

Where wuld you go to get one?

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Road Skills In Holland

Hi there,

try Google on 'international drivers license usa', then there are some websites coming out, however I don't know if they are reputable.

They advertise with some USD 25.00 or so....

Here, we can go to our automotive association ANWB, in USA it would be AAA, but I've looked at their website, couldn't however find anything with them on this subject.

By the way, in Amsterdam you won't need a car, you can't park it anyway....and, if against all odds found a parkingspace, it will be very expensive.... better use public transport

Regards

Marcel

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 14
4. Re: Road Skills In Holland

Driving in Amsterdam is a dangerouse business , frought with danger and very difficult to make any progress.

Parking is worse , as Marcel said use public transport.

California
reviews: 1
5. Re: Road Skills In Holland

I recently rented a car for 24 hours from Schiphol. I parked it very late at night towards the far end of the #5 tram line and started my journey very early the next morning to be out of town before morning rush hour.

For the next 16 hours off and on I drove from Amsterdam to three of the most northern provinces and just randomly drove taking interesting roads. I was totally lost in all the big cities I was in but had a compass to keep me going in the right general direction.

I used my California Drivers liscense and a credit card- apparently US drivers liscense holders don't need an international liscense.

I didn't have too much trouble with the signs. they're pretty easy to figure with lots of European standard symbols.I don't remember my getting in the way of the local drivers even though I was driving slower especially on country roads. A decent navigator in your passsenger seat is a must and I wouldn't think of driving in any city if I was trying to go to some destination but would park at a train station on the outskirts and use the great public transportation.

If you want an incredibly detailed map get the Falk Nederland Wegenatlas. It covers the country in 100 pages. I got mine at a non touristy book store. Less detailed but with good city maps is the Cito Plan Wegenkaart Nederland. Both were less than EUR 10.

Hawaii
6. Re: Road Skills In Holland

Thanks everyone!

It is as I had suspected!

I think I'll pass on the car.

Public tram is likely to be much less expensive anyway, and that means I'll have more $$$ for food & beer!

Ireland
reviews: 7
7. Re: Road Skills In Holland

You're wise in choosing not to drive but some information on International Drivivng Permits (apparently that's what they're called: only two organizations are authorized by the State Department to sell IDPs in the United States: the American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance (through the National Automobile Club).

It seems anyone else who attempts to sell you any type of international driver's license or permit is peddling worthless imitation documents (or, at best, is offering to charge you an exorbitant fee for walking you through the paperwork — an IDP takes but a few minutes to obtain and costs only $10).

There's an application form available on-line at http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 6
8. Re: Road Skills In Holland

I knew it had to be somewhere at the AAA....couldn't find it however....

Great, thanks for the URL

Marcel