We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jan '06 change in the law

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Jan '06 change in the law

Can anyone help?

I am going to Amsterdam in April'06 but have heard recently that from Jan'06 there will be a change in the law that prohibits anyone other than the Dutch to make use of their liberal drug laws? Has anyone else heard this, if so can you give me a broader picture. Not being a huge fan of tulips, clogs etc the coffe shops are the main reason for my visit.

Cheers.

reviews: 10
1. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Relax. It's a rumour going on in the british press; but if they could be bothered to check their sources they'd find it's a misunderstanding.

After January British smokers and their money will be as welcome as ever in the Amsterdam coffeeshops.

Just to make sure I just went and visited the website of the department of justice, and there is no change announced in January.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
2. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

these rumours always spread. Amsterdam woudl not be so silly as to lose the revenue. Not just form coffeeshops but all others who benefit, ie hotels, restaurants etc etc ....

I think it may get stricter in some ways generally in border towns but not in amsterdam..only time will tell:)

It varies
3. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Go ahead and don't worry about it. I lived in Nederlands for a while and have many friends there....this whole thing will be sorted out as the Dutch typically do, they'll talk it to death. Although there is alot of talk about this, so far my people in NL are telling me not to worry. Meanwhile, once you get there make SURE you make some Dutch friends for next time. Have a blast...I highly recommend Grey Area and Dampkring and Smokey's at Rembrandplein is a blast, once you get the past the neon outside...Cafe Mediterranean is a very chill place too and the owner is most awesome.

Seaside Heights...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Well, if people didnt abuse the privilege it wouldnt even be an issue.

Maybe, they should post the using age as 25 instead of 18 or 21 even. I know from these sites it is something that is tolerated and that people are expected to grow out of, but no one wants to see people staggering down the street because they did too much.

Dont get me wrong, I like to party just as much as anyone, but dont disrespect your hosts and hostesses. Puking, peeing, screaming, all should be done in the privacy of your own home, not in some other persons street. lol...we dont have to live there.

If this was happening in my neighborhood I would rally to have it banned.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
5. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

i think you wil see more peopel "puking" because of excess alcohol. I think most fights are due to alcohol. Raising the age to 25 is just stupid. Sorry:)

6. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Muzebiz, the puking/screaming etc is nothing to do with the availability of softdrug; it's a by-product of the infamous British tradition of binge-drinking.

I have never ever seen Dutch youth rolling down the gutters in this kind of state. Let alone French or Spanish..

However, whenever I am in Britain on a saturday night I am confronted with the unpleasant sight of the local youth, boys AND girls, drinking themselves willfully into a coma, fighting in the streets, vomiting over each other. They seem to take pride in getting as trashed as they can.

It's an acknowledged problem in Britain these day; although alcohol consumption is going down everywhere in Europe, in the UK it's on the rise. It's being discussed in the british media a lot at the moment now that the opening times of pubs are being relaxed across the country.

Cardiff
7. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Thank you all for your help with this.

I will be going with a group of mates to relax after what has been a very traumatic year and couldn't think of a better place to help us chill.

I am now the wrong side of 30 to be running a drunken rampage through the streets, you are all correct however, we do have a binge drinking problem which does seem to be part of our culture, please accept my apologies for the drunken, aggressive behaviour of the British contingent causing problems in Amsterdam.

We are not all like that, some of us can have a good time with the use of alcohol/drugs without making arses of oursleves.

I don't know whether the relaxing of our opening times will aleviate some of the problems, unfortunately when you have people going out with the sole intention of getting trashed opening hours will not make much of a difference.

The authorities are hoping to create a more continental approach to the use of pubs, cafes etc, only time will tell eh.......

Stourbridge, United...
reviews: 34
8. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

I agree with you Poolerboy and I am also on the wrong side of 30!!

However, you shouldn't feel the need to apologise for those not like us. I think most Europeans have the sense to know we are not all like that!!!????

Piglet

9. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Indeed it had occured to us that there are different types of Brits.

Seaside Heights...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Jan '06 change in the law

Dont worry Hemikiwi, I can agree to disagree on any topic.