We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Duty Free

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 1
Amsterdam Duty Free

Hi all i wondering about duty free in Amsterdam Airport? We are travelling from London Luton and have been informed that we are unable to buy Cigarettes or Tabacco from Duty Free. I wanted to buy some Tabacco for my neighbours and was wondering if the same rule applys in Amsterdam Duty Free too?

Thank you all for all the help so far...you've really helped :-) xx

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

Unless your final destination is outside the EU then you cannot buy duty free anything. You can buy tobacco but it there is a seperate section in the shops and clearly marked for travel within the EU. There is no duty free for travel within the EU area. There hasn't been or many years.

I think duty paid tobacco is (say Golden Virginia) is around 60 euros for 10x50g so still a lot cheaper than the UK even with the poor exchange rate.

You can also buy the tobacco in town at exactly the same price as the airport as the price is goverment regulated everywhere in NL.

Edited: 3:18 pm, November 25, 2009
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

Slight correction to Ron's post - if you are travelling within Europe, you can buy goods tax free but not duty free. (or is it the other way around??)

You can buy tobacco and spirits even though travelling within the EU; I buy malt whisky in such circumstances and you can buy cigarettes too, just not as cheaply as if your destination was outside the EU. This is why most sales assistants always ask where your final destination is!

Hope this helps!

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

Thank you both, now i will know what to expect. :-) x

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 53
4. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

Anyone notice the selection of scotch whiskey in duty free shop in Schiphol?

Looking at lagavulin single malt.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 26
5. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

Yes, excellent selection; the whisky is on the left hand side of the duty free liquor shop on the non-Schengen side towards the back!

Lagavuliin is an excellent choice, but if they do not have it a 15 year Bowmore is just as good in my view! ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 53
6. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

Indeed, I was spoilt for choice n I got what I am looking for.

cheers

London, United...
reviews: 15
7. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

any idea as to what the going rate for 400 B&H there at the moment ?

8. Re: Amsterdam Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, August 22, 2010