We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

americans in coffee shops

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
reviews: 1
americans in coffee shops

im heading to Amsterdam in a few weeks (i've been about four times) and i heard the other day that Americans have to purchase some sort of to buy smoke in coffee shops. this sounds odd to me. any truth to this or anything like it? thanks in advance

New Orleans...
reviews: 3
1. Re: americans in coffee shops

It is not true at this time. The govt is talking about many changes in the future although any change will take time & not sure in which direction .they will go.

aberdeen
reviews: 26
2. Re: americans in coffee shops

"Americans have to purchase some sort of ...?"

There is no chance whatsoever of the Dutch government changing legislation concerning coffeeshops in the current financial climate so its not even worth thinking about, however the question has intrigued me how about :-

Americans have to purchase a garter belt and a bra and walk in singing im'e a lumberjack and im'e ok before they will sell them some smoke he he

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: americans in coffee shops

"i heard the other day that Americans have to purchase some sort of" Jamician style hat and accent and sing Bob Marley songs?

I'm intruiged to know what you thought you would have to purchase. Tell us or we'll keep making stuff up. :-)

aberdeen
reviews: 26
4. Re: americans in coffee shops

Right I got the ultimate one :-

Americans have to walk in wearing only a garter belt, a bra, and a Rasta hat while singing one verse of im’e a lumberjack, followed by a short dodgy rendition of the star spangled banner on Saxophone, they must also promise not to inhale, and finally they must repeat the words “I did not have sex with that woman”, in a calm sincere manner before making any purchase.

Ok who`s gonna top that one.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: americans in coffee shops

ive read the post about 20 times..and i dont understand the question..am i the only one?

New Orleans...
reviews: 3
6. Re: americans in coffee shops

I think he's asking about some of the pending legislation allowing only "locals" to purchase in a coffee shop. Maybe not?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
7. Re: americans in coffee shops

"Maybe not?"

I'd say for sure. it was clear from first reading that he dropped a word from his question.

Its an often asked question on other forums.

But no as of now all you need is to take off your hat and bring your money.

Enjoy and have a great time.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 58
8. Re: americans in coffee shops

Americans have to spend at least one night working in a window to use the coffeeshops.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
9. Re: americans in coffee shops

americans have to sing a Mariah Carey song, donate a Krispy kreme and then be allowed inside........feel lucky, u cannot even imagine what kiwis have to do :):)

10. Re: americans in coffee shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 03, 2010