We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

Traveling around the forums the most recent 5's being posted for winning bids......the Kras.

July 20-22 $75-Kras

Sept 3-6 $75-Kras

You might be able to get them a little bit cheaper. I would at least try.

Next week it might be some other 5 star in play.

873 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

Sorry my bad

The correct price for Sept 3-6 is in fact $74

Florida
2. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

I just got the NH Barbizon Palace for USD132 a night including taxes on Priceline NYOP! Woo Hoo!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
3. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

FA, could we have your dates and bidding history?

Seattle
reviews: 13
4. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

MrJohnMd, when you put $75, are you meaning US dollars? When posting Euros, is there a sign for that that is common on a regular US keyboard? Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

No he means $$'s i.e USD. Seems like you paid quite a bit over the odds for that hotel. Normally on PL you would pay less than $80 but perhaps there is something on when you have booked which would make the price rise substancially.

Florida
6. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

I am leaving tomorrow AM to arrive AMS on 6/30. I checked other booking sites and found the rate to be a low of USD245 and high of USD370. I bid USD70 and the counter offer came in as USD111. It was a last minute booking, so I am actually quite happy, especially with the location!

Sacramento
reviews: 9
7. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

Florida Annielou,

And now you have made your second excellent decision that I am aware of. Way to go !

I hope you will share with us your impressions of Amsterdam after you return.

Enjoy,

DR RB

San Diego, CA
reviews: 17
8. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

My husband and I are taking a Baltic cruise from Amsterdam in Aug and spending a night pre (Aug 12) and post (Aug 25) cruise. After reading through the TA postings (special thanks to MrJohnMD)we decided we needed to try to bid for a room. On our first try we tried for a 5* Centraal location for $70. It was immediately accepted at Barbizon Palace. I had not seen anything accepted below $75 at that time. We emailed the hotel to request nonsmoking and asked if we could book the post cruise night at the same rate. We have had no reply in over a week. So we are going to bid again and will start lower next time, but are quite happy with first try. Thanks to TA Amsterdam for all the information. We will take the train from airport to centraal station and walk to the hotel. We are arriving 8:30a.m. and are looking forward to most of two days visiting Amsterdam before the cruise.

Thanks again, Sherry

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
9. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

FA just FYI and for saving you money in the future counter offers are just that. Like in any negotiation you will make an offer and the other part will counter it. Then you make another slightly higher one than you previously bid until you come to an agreement on the price. I think yo could have had the room for less than $80 but as long as you are happy with the price then that's what matters most.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
10. Re: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum

"asked if we could book the post cruise night at the same rate. We have had no reply in over a week. "

Green, I do not think its going to work. I think you will need to bid again for that last night.

First off the hotel desk only knows that you have a pre-paid. What you paid is between you and priceline. Look at it this way....you have a contract with PL for a room and PL has a contract with the hotel for a room for you.

PL is a way for the hotels to dump unused rooms but at the same time to not lower the hotel rates which would cheapen the 5 star brand that they have built up.

The hotel is just not going to offer you a room direct for $75 USD. Its just not going to happen.

I'd not wait for a return on that request. Just go ahead and bid.

Reply to: Bidding on a 5 star in the centrum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted