We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 5
The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

Hello all,

We are regular visitors to Amsterdam but do not usually eat Chinese food whilst we are there.

This time we are travelling (early sept '05) with my parents who are big Chinese fans. I know they would love to eat Chinese whilst there, but I'm not sure where to take them?

Last time we had Chinese in Amsterdam was about 2 years ago and it was in the place on the corner of the red light district just down from the Sofitel Demeure (The Grand)? Food was well priced and above average but I know things change.

It's a special occassion also, so quality is more of an issue than price.

Thanks for your help.

Tony & Vanessa

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
1. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

First and foremost let me say that I love Chinese food and have eaten it around the world, including in Bankok, Hong Kong and Bejing. On issue with many 'Chinese' restaurants in the Netherlands is that they are more Indonesian influenced than those in the UK would be used to.

There are a number of good places but of those I have been to there is one stand out place in Amsterdam. That is the Wing Kee at Zeedijk 76. This is just on the edge of the red light district - just over the bridge from Cafe Corso if you know where that is.

The restaurant is simple. It only serves soft drinks and tea, no alcohol, but if that doesn't bother you the food is simply fantastic. I'd particularly recommend their suckling pig (Only served on Saturdays), spare ribs, roast pork and Peking duck but everything I have had there is authentic cantonese and delicious.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 16
2. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

agree with blinca , the Wing Kee does very good food, as well as whats been recommended, try their vermocelli Singapore style, superb !!

My personal favorite, a little more upmarket in style and surroundings but prices very similar, is Mandarijn, Rokin 25, just down from Dam Sq. also Welcome Vietnam if you like it a little more spicy.

see www.virtualtourist.com/m/6d404/71211 for reviws of these.

3. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:53 am, August 24, 2005
reviews: 5
4. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

Thanks to you all for your advice. Geoff, do you have the address for Welcome Vietnam?

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

tony & venessa, all the details are on the review. Its Zeedijk 57 or Geldersekade56. Same restaurant , just has two entrances , 1012BK Amsterdam. Tel 020 638 62 34.

Brisbane Australia
reviews: 7
6. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

just watch out on whats good chinese food

im an chinese/australian resdient myself actually

i found alot of chinese restruants here have 2 menus

chiense for western, we call it fake chiense..normally stuff like lemon chicken, sweet sour pork, spring roll..balh blah

chinese for chinese: normmly stuff like duck, lobster, mapo tofu, fish, hot plate beef.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

very true lungfish 26 , the ones mentioned are the real deal though , as are most in the Zeedijk area. and The Mandarijn, although this one also has a selection of more Westerised dishes as well.

In the Wing Kee they do a very strange dish indeed , cant tell you the Chinese name , but the English translation is mixed cows intestines !!!! Tried it , didnt like it !!!!

Brisbane Australia
reviews: 7
8. Re: The best Chinese food in Amsterdam... Current...

i think these intestin dishes are normally liked for chiense only.

if you ever been to yam cha, you there are heaps of these intestin dishes and the famous chicken feet which we eat.

i took few western to it, they got scared stifless and won't dare to eat it.