We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filmimg in the red light area

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 17
Filmimg in the red light area

Does anyone know if its ok to video in the red light area ?

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 13
1. Re: Filmimg in the red light area

In general its an unwritten law that filming is NOT allowed. The official tourist guide warns you specifically NOT to take photos or videos of the girls in the windows.

California
reviews: 1
2. Re: Filmimg in the red light area

Someone actually naive enough to point their camera at a windows girl can be expected to be physically assaulted and have their camera damaged by the girl. I've seen it happen more than once.

That said I think if you take some video of your friend standing on an RLD bridge with the windows in the background you should be OK. It's the closeup shots that would have recognizable faces that will get you in trouble.

I once saw a tourist complaining to a police officer about being hasseled for taking pictures and the officers response was didn't you see all the signs forbidding pictures and weren't you aware of the girls right to privacy.

DC
3. Re: Filmimg in the red light area

Amsterlarry is correct. Sometimes there are even bouncers around who'll kick your arse for taking pictures of the girls.

The suggestion of taking a panoramic shot with the windows just happening to be in the far background is probably your safest bet.

I wonder, Larry, can you PAY a girl to let you take her picture through the window?

California
4. Re: Filmimg in the red light area

I think generally anything is negotiable. Recently the favorite Sabrina was shown on 60 Minutes (a news magazine tv program) in the USA but with a use of reflections her face was not visible. They did do a slow scan up showing her lovely slender six foot bikini clad figure though.

Those interested in the Red Light District should peruse www.ignatzmice.com ...the RLD FAQ and RLD tour are good starting points as well as the very active discussion board.