We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average meal prices

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, B.C...
reviews: 2
Average meal prices

What is the average price for a medium priced lunch and dinner? Are there any good restaurants walking distance from the Delphi Hotel at the Apollolaan and is it safe for two older ladies to walk there at night? Also because it is the very first time that my travel companion is in The Netherlands I thought that maybe a restaurant that offers the "Indonesian Rijsttafel" would be nice but not absolutely necessary. Thanks.

California
reviews: 1
1. Re: Average meal prices

You can walk to Apoololaan but beware from Dam Square it's about a 60 minute walk or longer. You can take the #5 or 24 tram there, takes about 20 minutes. You can buy tram passes at the GVB office in the large white red tiled roof building out in front of Centraal Station. Look slightly to the left as you come out the front door of the station. The 5 goes through Museumplein and Leidseplein and behind the Royal Palace at Dam Square whereas the #24 goes through Muntplein (Rembrandtplein) and Dam Square. Both go on to Centraal Station.

For my pocketbook a decent lunch is over EUR 10 and a decent 3 course dinner starts at EUR 20 including drinks.

www.iens.nl/english/restaurantsIn/Amsterdam/ ...is a great restaurant review site searchable by district. Zuid is a good area near Apollolaan although it's huge whereas Leidseplein is compact and has lots of restaurants.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 16
2. Re: Average meal prices

Pretty sound advice from larry . Beware of the rice table or rijsttafel , only go for it if you like you food spicy and on the hot side. They normally do a huge amount of food , so dont eat too much before hand !! Enjoy.

Richmond, B.C...
3. Re: Average meal prices

Thank you so much for the advice. I did go to the website and found it very helpful. I do not understand the reference to the distance from the Dam to the Apollolaan. We are staying at the Delphi on the Apollolaan and were thinking of walking from there to a nearby restaurant. From what I have read I have changed my mind about the rijsttafel. It seems that there is a very nice restaurant called "En Route" on the Hobbemakade, which according to the map is not too far from the Delphi. I still don't know if it is safe to walk there in the evening for two older ladies. Thanks for your replies. This dialogue is very helpful.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 16
4. Re: Average meal prices

pavara , in general it is safe to walk almost anywhere in Amsterdam. Even , as you put it , " for older ladies".

The area you are in is not consider a problem , although I must admitt its not an area that I have ever been in late at night. I'm sure the staff at the hotel will give you good advice about this.

California
reviews: 1
5. Re: Average meal prices

My referance to the walking distance to Dam Square was if you were going to be walking to the main tourist area in Amsterdam. If you're only going to be walking to Hobbemankade the closest end of it might be a 5-10 minute walk from Apollolaan- I'm not sure where the Delphi is on Apollolaan. As you can probably see from your map though Hobbemankade is about a km and a quarter long.

If you go to http://www.routenet.nl/ (click on the Union Jack for English) you can input the hotel's and restaurant's addresses and you'll get a map with the route marked along with the distance and the driving time betwen the two points.

Richmond, B.C...
6. Re: Average meal prices

Thank you, you're great!